Seven

"Where is William?" I asked for the hundredth time.

My tutor sighed and put down the book. "If you finish your studies like a good girl, maybe then I'll tell you." My tutor wasn't a normal one, he was the duke's youngest sibling. He introduced himself as someone else rather than a relative to the highest person in hierarchy. I'm guessing he didn't like being one. I looked back at my book and found nothing that I understood. I didn't want to tell him that, he explained the work to me multiple times and I know he would snap if I ask again.

I read it over and over trying to make something out of the words but it was useless. By the time tutoring was over my hands ached from doodling and I couldn't wait to get out. Instead of just excusing myself, my tutor came to me and looked over at the work. His brows furrowed as he took the homework in his hands.

"What's this?"

"Homework."

He looked over to me with an annoyed expression. "Why didn't you complete it?"

"I did it in my head."

He sighed and slouched on his chair, as if not able to take this any longer. "Just get out of my sight." I did as I was told and exited the room, before he changed his mind. It was dinner time, everyone should be gathered in the dining room, I took advantage of the situation and head the opposite way.

After the time when I caught the duke with Michael, I knew he was hiding something, and I wanted to find out what that something was. I opened the doors after looking around me, making sure I don't get caught. The guards are usually stood either outside the mansion, near the duke or guarding his bedroom. But it was stupid that no one was watching over his office. Maybe they thought no one would dare mess with his things, so they left it be.

I opened the door and found a wooden desk at the side of the room and a book shelf surrounding the other walls. I might not find what he was talking about earlier but I might find a clue about what he has been working on so far. I went to his desk and messed with some documents on the table, but none of them seemed suspicious. Of course no one would put something valuable on the desk, he must have hidden them. I look at the drawers after putting the documents back into place. Taking a while searching through many drawers still nothing caught my eye, that was until I saw a key on the edge of the bottom drawer. I took it and examined it. If this key was going to something valuable, he would leave it anywhere, no one would. I was just about to throw it back in but decided to hang on to it, better than nothing I suppose. My mind was set on a specific question: where is the lock?

I looked round the room and found nothing out of what I was hoping. My mind was erupted as someone opened the door to find me in the middle of the room. After a while of silence he went out of the room, shutting the doors as he did so. Moments passed with me just absorbing what just happened, but it didn't take long as he emerged back in. He must of thought he got the wrong room at first.

"And who might you be?" His voice was similar to Michael's.

"Williams fiancé." Hoping he would back down, but to my fear, he didn't.

"And I'm Frankenstein." He rolled his eyes, smiling. He came into the room and I tried with all my might to hide the key in my hands. But it would look suspicious if I hold it by my back, nor can I hide it in my fist, it's too long. So I did what I can do, I placed it onto the desk. Where I hope no one would notice that it's moved from the drawers to the edge of the desk, but it was all I can do, at least until 'Frankenstein' leaves the room.

"Why are you here? Are you in need of the duke?" He reaches out to put some documents on the desk but searches through it intensely to proof read it.