Three

The minibus was filled with feelings of excitement and eagerness to arrive for The Collection and I was the odd one out. I sit in my seat looking out the window, absorbing the atmosphere outside. It was horrifying, the broken down buildings and forsaken objects on the ground. It was deserted, there were only a few people walking along the pavements and disappeared after that. Maybe they're all heading to watch The Collection, waiting for the next generation to bring a life which will continue to happen over and over again.
I saw a little girl, visiting a shop nearby; she looked about the same age as Martha.

Martha.

I missed her, really missed her. Before I planned for my escapes, I used to spend most of my time with Martha. We used to talk to each other a lot. She once told me a secret, that she entrusted me to keep it a secret from everyone. She truly trusted me the most.

"Girls, quiet down! My ears are likely to explode any minute!" Miss Audrey exclaimed.

"Let them, Miss Audrey, that way you'll be at peace." Sophie said, giggling at the excitement. Miss Audrey got up from her seat and stood at the front of the minibus, as if she was going to say a speech.

"Now now, Sophie, be lady-like. I'm sure the noblemen wouldn't want a talkative wife to only worsen their headaches. Do you?"

"What about the duke!?" A girl named Delia exclaimed to Loa who was sat next to her. I put my finger in each ear to shield from the uncontrolled shouts and delight, Miss Audrey did the same. She looked at me and held on to the eye contact, until a moment after. I felt as though she was thinking about last night with the conversation I never thought I would have with her, at least not like that.

"Anyway, let me finish." Miss Audrey said. "I want everyone in this bus to be at their best behaviour, I'm sure that's what the duke would like to see. Also Ferlous don't get absorbed in the spotlight too much. Delia don't you dare go wondering off into the moonlight with a stranger." She said, narrowing her eyes when all Delia did was put on her innocent face.

Everyone turned to look at her. "Why, I don't know what you mean, ma'am"

"Hmm, well everyone else, take care. And remember the days you've spent in the school and those moments that you desire to remember." She paused, looking at me. "You're all special to me. So don't forget me." She held our gaze, once again and returned to her seat.

The hours were long and tiresome. It was almost dark, yet we have not even reached The Collection. Which made me think that maybe today wasn't The Collection, maybe today was just another day but more different. Maybe today was just going to be spent on traveling there rather than being collected.
The last thought came to me when the bus came to a halt. The girls looked around, at each other and out the window. The only thing we saw was the motor way that looked like it might never lead us to our destination. Miss Audrey stood and muttered something to the driver, the driver did the same.

Miss Audrey sighed deeply and turned to us, holding one of the handles above her head. "Girls, a problem occurred so we have to wait a bit until it is resolved." Delia looked suspicious.

"What is the problem?" Miss Audrey looked at her and sighted again, only it was shorter this time.

"The bus has run out of fuel. We're going to have to wait for an agency to bring us help and refuel it. Until then, everyone go outside." Miss Audrey went out before us. The girls gave suspicious glances to each other as I followed her out.

"Why are we coming out?" I said. Maybe a bit too excited for once since the journey has started.

"I know a luxurious place nearby and figured you're all hungry. Not that we haven't already packed food, but something fresh is nice. Don't you think?" I looked at her, amazed at how different she suddenly is compared to the past. If this was another staff allowing us outside into daylight, offering to feed us in an open restaurant she would definitely have fired them, and would have given us a huge everlasting lecture saying that we shouldn't have agreed, which is why the girls take so long to come outside not looking away from Miss Audrey as if expecting this was all a test.
The seconds passed by as we made our way to the restaurant and searched for seats enough so that we could all still be together. Miss Audrey stood next to the counter mumbling something to the employers, who glanced at our direction with wide eyes.