the disastrous message

i really wanted to thank you all for the support. ALL OF YOU. it means a lot. like, i am SO shocked by the responses. (also, special thanks to SamMadison bc she's been helping me get through this)

I stayed inside the bathroom for a few more minutes trying to figure out what the hell was happening with me. The tingles, the random moments of infatuation, the way I seemed to block everything out when we were stuck together—they were all so unfamiliar to me.

Sliding off the counter, I spun around and faced my reflection. My eyes widened at the sight of my flushed cheeks and I tentatively placed a hand on the spot where his lips had been.

What the hell was happening to me?

I shook my head, blinking away the shock. I turned the faucet on, looking away from the mirror. This wasn't right. What the heck was I doing? We were in the middle of a fucking crisis! My parents were kidnapped! We had no idea where they were! And, there was a really good possibility that Lee, in all his psychotic mindset, could kill then if he popped his fucking top! I shouldn't be thinking about this!

A knock on the door startled me, making me jump and I ended up jabbing my hip on the corner of the sink.

"Fuck," I hissed as I moved back and cradled my hip.

Whoever was outside the door knocked again.

"Yeah, I'm coming!" I said, rubbing my hip. Then I grabbed the doorknob and opened it, expecting to face another guy in a suit, but was confused to see that there was no one there. "The hell..."

I popped my head out, looking left and right but saw no signs of anyone. There were just the sounds of people murmuring in the living room, the padding of footsteps up the stairs and above me, and the buzzing of the bathroom lights. Seeing no one there, I moved to step back when a loud clang from the kitchen made me jump.

My eyes fell shut and one hand flew to cover my chest as I cursed, "Damn it."

Then I stepped back and that's when I felt something under my foot. Looking down, I spotted a black CD case lying on the floor. I shut the door, stooping down to pick it up, confused It was obvious that it was for me, considering no one else was in this room. And, as I turned it over, there was a sticky note with my name scrawled across the transparent cover in a dark, inky marker.

It sparked my curiosity, but it seemed way too ominous. And, I had an extremely bad feeling about this. It felt a little too similar to the present with the... It seemed too ominous.

I pried open the case, hoping that there was some sort of note inside that would explain it and calm down my nerves. There was.

But it didn't ease anything.

"Watch me," it said.

"Well that fucking cleared everything up," I muttered as I flipped the note over, hoping for something more. But nope. Nada.

There was another knock on the door and I, yet again, jumped in surprise.

"Why the hell do people keep doing that to me?" I whispered, a little irritated.

"Kaia?" came Arthur's voice from the other side.

Quickly, I closed the case and tucked it in the back of my pants, pulling my shirt over to cover it. "Yeah?" I called out with a slight, almost thankfully imperceptible stutter.

"You've been in there for a while, are you okay?"

I pulled open the door, mustering a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine, just trying to get a breather away from everyone."