the disastrous break in

Okay, so, yeah. I wanted him to come find us, but with how my parents were reacting, it doesn't seem like a good idea anymore. Also, not to sound ungrateful or anything, how the fuck did they find us so fast? It's been, what, a day?

"What the hell is that brat doing here," Dad hissed, before I could further analyze anything.

"Kaia!" Arthur shouted again. Right before he cried, "OW!"

A furious shhh slipped through the miniscule crevices around the door. "You're an idiot to think that they're not headed here even without confirmation."

"North?" Mom and Dad acknowledged in unison, their focus going from one boy to the next. What the fuck? It took me longer to get them to focus on trying to escape but it took one hush from North to get them to focus on him?

I could feel my blood boiling because what the fuck.

Shaking my head from the two numbskulls' distracting presence, I returned my focus back to trying to get us out of here. Yeah, I got that Arthur and North were here to help but just because we were the damsels in this situation didn't mean that we could just sit around. (In my opinion, if every damsel tried to help the prince with the escape plan, the rescue part of the plot would have gone by faster.)

"Can we focus now?" I exclaimed, standing up.

My parents bent their heads together and began to discuss something in fierce whispers. I caught a few words here and there but not enough to make out what exactly they were talking about but I had a pretty good hunch that it had nothing to do with escape. Weren't they some super fucking elite assistants of royalty? SO WHY THE FUCK DID THEY NOT HAVE THEIR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW?

A sudden screech echoed through the cell just as I felt some liquid begin to drip down my hand. My parents stopped their murmurings, snapping their heads in my direction with wide eyes.

Finally! was my first thought, before I saw their brows raise as their gazes fell to my hands.

It took me a while to realize that the liquid in my hands was blood. And then a moment after, that the screech came from me.

It was silent on the other side of the wall, too.

"Kaia? Are you okay?" came Arthur.

"Shut up," North snapped.

I ignored them.

"Kaia, sweetie, calm down," Mom murmured, slowly standing up. She winced in pain, one hand flying over to her waist to put pressure on her side. I grimaced but stayed where I was.

"I would calm down," I began, deciding to shake off the drops of blood. My hands were bloody already and if they were going to complain about not being able to take care of myself or cleaning in this fucking prison, well, they could give themselves that fucking lecture, too. "Except neither of you are listening to me."

"We are," Dad retorted.

"Not when I was asking for it!" I snapped back, before wincing. I could feel their expressions morph into ones of disapproval. "Sorry! But dang it! We need to get out of here!"

I turned around, hands on my hips, before walking forward and leaning my head on the wall. Letting out a few deep breaths and fighting the urge to smash my hand into the wall, I called out, "North!"

I heard footsteps approach.

"What is it," he answered.

"Do you have a plan?"

It was a rhetoric question. It was North. The responsible one. The smart one. The strategic one. Y'know, that smart dude that seemed to have his shit together. So, yeah, rhetoric question.