Chapter 3:3

I told them everything, not holding back anything more other than the fact that Poe had changed his form. The elder Heads of the Family shared another look in the silence that followed. It only made me more nervous.

"He described the lost family's power perfectly," Lyssa said, looking to my father. "Could it really be possible that your son was chosen to revive the Reinhardt line?"

"How do we know he isn't making all of this up?" Nathan argued.

Lyssa stepped in front of him before I even had a chance to defend myself. "You were in diapers when the last of the Reinhardts were killed. How do you know he's lying? You forget that the Emersons worked closely with our lost brothers and sisters. I saw their powers first hand. And that description Ezra just gave was to the T."

Nathan's gaze iced over as he held his ground. "I must see this to believe it."

My father studied the two of them before turning to me. "I hate to ask this of you while you are still recovering, but it's important that we witness your Talent first hand. If it's true that you are the new founder of the Reinhardt line, we must confirm it."

They wouldn't believe me until they saw it. Great. Let's just hope I could figure out how to get it to work again.

Avery helped me stand. Someone had changed me into a set of flannel pjs. I didn't even want to think about how that had happened. I slipped my feet into a pair of slippers as Nathan and Lyssa headed down the stairs ahead of us. I paused for a moment to untangle the pendant's chain from Poe's perch. He stirred as I pulled the chain away, and flapped up to perch on my shoulder.

With Dad and Avery to keep me steady, we somehow made it downstairs to the living room in one piece. Avery's mother and sister sat on the couch, my brother waited near the fireplace with Nathan's son, Collen. I wondered when he'd arrived, though, knowing Nathan, it was probably about five minutes after I started my Test.

"William!" Mom shrieked. She stood in the doorway we'd just passed through, a tray of food held in her hands. "What is he doing out of bed-"

"I'm okay, mom," I insisted.

"You certainly don't look okay!"

"It's important," my father said with a pained look. "We'll have him back in bed soon."

Nathan motioned around himself. "Is this enough room? Or should we perhaps step outside?"

"I don't even know what you want me to do," I said, "I'm not sure I could-"

"Oh, come now." Nathan stared at me. "Surely, if you're going to claim that you're going to start a new family line, you should have some show to backup your claim."

Shock filtered around the room.

"He didn't claim anything like that, Nathan," my father said with a dangerous edge to his voice.

"He might as well have. Just how are we to know that he's telling the truth? How do we know that you haven't just been hiding the most powerful Necromanic artifact from us for all these years?"

I glanced at the pendent. "You know what this is?"

Nathan glared at me. " Boy, that is the pendant the Head of the Reinhardt Family wore. The pendant that was lost years ago when the Quintet fought against the Witches in Salem, and most of the fifth family was killed."

I remembered that story. I'd only heard it once, so why hadn't I thought about it before?

"The summoners. They were the family that summoned beasts, demons to fight." I said, staring down at the pendent.