Chapter 9.2

"Close your eyes and clear your minds," John said softly.

I fell into the meditation easily, breathing in the humid afternoon air and fighting to keep my emotions in check.

"Ezra, focus on your connection with Poe. Reach for him with your power and mind."

Doing as John said, I focused on Poe's presence beside me. I remembered the first time I felt the weight of his power. The time I saw him standing in the Vault. I remembered playing games with him as a kid. Extending a metaphysical hand, I reached for Poe, inviting him into my mind. A drop of his power reached for me in a similar fashion, and when our powers met, the sensation was different from anything else I've ever felt before.

Images flashed through my mind, like thinking about old memories except they weren't mine. I saw people I didn't recognize in places that looked vaguely familiar. I remembered the feeling of holding my children close, even though I didn't have any. I remembered fighting to my last breath to protect them and the rest of the Family as they were all hunted down like criminals.

I started to take a step back as I realized exactly what Poe was; who he was.

Don't break the connection, Poe's voice whispered in my mind. I don't have the strength to help you reestablish it.

But, I thought, are you him? Are you really Allan Reinhardt?

"Focus," he said aloud in a strained voice. We'll have time for 20 questions later. Now, show me your center, where your power pools.

It took barely a thought and we were there, standing at the edge of the cliff in my mind that overlooked the sea of power.

I don't know how this will feel, he said, but that was the only warning I got.

He reached right in and pulled, as if he were trying to dig my heart out with a spoon. I watched as Poe manipulated my power, shaping it to form the portal home.

That's what we're aiming for. Build the portal in your mind, then fill the doorway with memories, thoughts, and things you know about the place you want to go. It's always easier to go somewhere you've been before, but going somewhere new takes a lot of effort and more power.

Instead of focusing on the Vault like I had expected him to, he concentrated on the flat, grassy pasture near Avery's home. I helped him add details, like the shape of the Manser's Grove and the different kinds of herbs her mom kept planted by the patio of their house.

My link to Avery flared to life with a burning sensation that nearly brought me to tears. I felt her sorrow, then surprise followed by such an intense joy, my heart hurt again for an entirely different reason.

A murmur of voices sprang up around us like a whirlwind and I opened my eyes to find the portal standing before us, Avery's house pictured in the distance.

I turned my gaze to Poe to find him watching me with a tentative stare.

You aren't upset, about finding out who I really am?

Surprised, yes, but upset? I shook my head, thinking quickly. You're my great-grandfather. You knew my real parents, and you've protected me my entire life. Why would I be upset with that?

His face relaxed and he wavered a little on his feet. I felt him pull more of my power and feed it into himself. Poe's form twisted, morphing to the raven version of himself.

"Ready?" I asked Poe. He replied with a weak caw. I reached down and gently transferred him to my forearm, bracing him against my chest. "Let's go home."

Turning around, I caught sight of John. He was looking a little green in the cheeks.

"You know, now that I thinking about, I wasn't all to fond of that first trip. I could just stay here-," he started to say, but I grabbed him by the arm and pulled him into the portal after me.

The strange vertigo sensation was almost comforting. I was going home, even if that world was on the verge of an all out war with the witches, even if I knew my family wouldn't be thrilled with John's presence, or what he had to say. I was going home.

I was going back to Avery.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all! I'm sorry about this section being a little shorter than usual. There wasn't a great place to cut it at the word count I'd normally give you. But next week's section, 9.3, is working out to be longer, so. 

9.3 will be posted here on Wattpad next week on 4/6/17. If you're an Early Access member on my Patreon Page, it will be posted there tomorrow.

As it is, we're coming up on the end of Legacy. 

(how I'm picturing reactions)

We've about 8 more weeks of posts before it ends. I want to hear from you, my AMAZING readers and fans, about what I should work on next. I've got a poll up on my Patreon page (link in the comments). Vote there or comment your answer below. 

(FYI - you don't have to pledge money to participate on Patreon! Create an account, and click on the follow button under my avatar on my home page. Patreon will then notify you when I post content - like blog posts, polls, and information about my new Stalking Hours! All for free. ) 

Love y'all

Love y'all. See you next week!