Chapter 8.4

I woke up the next morning with a blinding headache. Sitting, I found myself in the middle of the village. Others were scattered around as if they'd fallen asleep in the middle of the party..

John was sprawled not ten feet away, his snores echoing in the quiet morning. I forced myself to my feet and walked down to the river. I sat on the river bank and splashed cool water on my face. It didn't ease the pain in my head completely, but it did help. The sun was glaringly bright off the water, so I closed my eyes against it. Sleep threatened to roll me under again, but I fought it. Instead, I sought comfort in meditation. My talent was restored from yesterday's fight, and it itched to be used.

I calmed my thoughts, focusing on the exercises Poe taught me. Those days in the Vault felt like they were years ago–

My eyes shot open.

The Vault had brought me here the first time, not Poe. Could there be another place like it?

I rushed back to Tamner's hut, barely pausing to enter like a normal person. Tamner sat by the little fire, eating his morning meal. He turned to me and nodded as he finished his last bite. I sat next to him.

"In my world, there's a special place, a Vault. It has the power to bring someone here. It's how Poe and I first travelled here," I explained quickly. "Is there a place like that? A place with the power to send us home?"

He looked at me in confusion and turned to look at Poe, who answered his unspoken question in his own language. Poe was sitting up, leaning against one of the hut's supporting posts.

"Ah," Tamner said, after Poe finished translating. "One, but it difficult to reach. Long journey."

"How long?" I asked, my hopes growing.

"A month or two, on foot," Poe answered. "It's high up in the mountain range that surrounds the jungle here. And not only is the road long, but dangerous. Not all the people in this world are as nice as those here in Tamner's village."

My heart sank; that wasn't any help. "Damn."

"We will find another way." Poe's voice sounded as tired as I suddenly felt.

I shook my head, "We don't have time. We need to get back and warn the families before it's too late."

Poe sat up straighter with a grunt. "What do you mean? Too late for what?"

"John told me about the plants. The Witches are going to offer a truce and throw a feast to celebrate. Except the food is going to be laced with a poison that blocks out powers. Then, it'll be a massacre."

Poe's eyes widened. "How's that even possible? There's nothing that can-"

"John told me about it, and I saw the plants with my own eyes," I said, defensively, staring him down.

He looked away first, but it didn't make me feel any better. Instead, I felt dread starting to build in me. Was there really nothing we could do to warn the others? "Is there another way back? Anything?"

"They may not believe the Witch's truce," Poe started slowly. "Your father and the other Heads may decide not to trust them."

"But what's to stop them from finding another way to poison them?"

"Nothing," John said from the doorway. "They won't stop until all the Necromancers are dead."

Poe watched him with a steely gaze. "I'm sure you would know."

John shrugged and moved further into the hut, taking a seat near Tamner – who watched us all with nervous glances. "I can't speak for the actions of my family or our relatives and the other witches. All I can do is just what I am. Offering what information I have, and being here rather than with them," he paused, taking that moment to accept a bowl of food from our host. "Now, what are we going to do about getting back to our world?"

Poe shook his head. "There is nothing we can do. Not until my talent returns."

John frowned at us. "So Poe has the knowledge, but not the power to complete the spell. What about you, Ez? Do you have enough power to cast it?"

"I don't know," I shrugged, confused. "Does it even matter? I can't even learn-"

"Does he have the power?" John asked Poe.

Poe nodded slowly. "He does."

"Then we just use an Instruction Spell. Once Poe is feeling up to it, you merge your powers, your minds. Poe could then use Ezra's power as he would his own."

"No. That's no-" Poe started to protest.

"I'm just saying it's a way to get home that's faster than waiting until the sun burns out."

I watched them, confused at their exchange. "Wait, what's wrong with doing it that way?" I asked.

Poe and John continued to stare each other down, before Poe finally said, "It's not exactly the best or easiest way to go about it."

John scoffed. "It's doable and the fastest in our given situation-"

"Not with the potential side-effects!" Poe argued.

I raised an eyebrow at John. "Side-effects? What side-effects?"

John glanced away from me. "Nothing crazy-"

"Like reading another's thoughts or seeing their memories. Some people like to keep those things private!" Poe's anger bristled to the point that if he had the spare power, sparks would be flying. He closed his eyes, and took a deep breath before continuing. "Besides, I'm not exactly human anymore. Who's to say it would even work with me?"

"Look," John said, raising his hands in defense. "We want to get home in a hurry, right? I just offered an option. All we'd have to do is try or not."

I watched Poe settle back down in the bed of furs.

"Out of the question," he snapped. "We'll find another way."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A shorter update as we finish up chapter 8. Early Access to Chapter 9.1 should be up soon on my Patreon page, no later than Sunday, and 9.1 will post here on Thursday, March 23rd. 

As always, thanks for reading! Be sure to vote, comment, and follow me to receive updates!