Chapter 5:4

My alarm went off early the next morning, but it didn't matter. I was already awake. It felt like christmas morning, but on top of being super excited, I was also insanely nervous.

Liam wasn't as thrilled with the wake up call, but he stirred, crawling out of his makeshift bed to pull a shirt on and escape out the door. I rolled myself deeper into the blanket, taking a few extra moments to myself in the comfort of warmth. Avery's mother kept the house cold. And even with my powers to keep me warm, I didn't want to leave my bed.

A knock on the door frame drew me out of my circling thoughts of what I was about to do.

"Ezra." Dad's voice was soft, and when I didn't answer, he repeated himself louder.

"Yeah?"

"There's coffee and breakfast in the kitchen; it's time to get up and get ready."

I groaned and debated snuggling down further into the covers for another few moments, but I threw the blankets off instead and grabbed a handful of clothes.

After I'd taken my turn in the shower, shaved, and dressed in my suit, I headed for the kitchen. Most of the men were gathered in the living room, looking tired and groggy.

Dad passed me a travel mug of coffee.

"Thanks," I said, and sipped at it.

"Let me give you a piece of advice that my father gave me when I married your mother," he said, fiddling with the top of his own mug. "Never take her — or anything — for granted. Be grateful every day for the life you have and the love you've found."

A door opened upstairs and I could see the moms and aunts pour out of Avery's room onto the landing.

Mom and a few of the others came down first. She came to stand near Dad and I, reaching out to adjust my tie. "Are you ready?"

I swallowed, nodding a little. "Yeah, I think so."

A hush fell over the family as everyone turned to see Avery standing at the top of the stairs. She descended the stairs slowly, carefully. I couldn't help but stare at her. In the flowy knee-length pink dress, with her hair curled and pulled back to tumble in spirals down her back, she was stunning.

In that moment, what really mattered became clear to me: Avery and I were about to promise ourselves to each other, and no matter what the world threw at us, we'd be facing it together. I could see in her eyes she wanted this just as much as I did, erasing my fears of coercion. In a few years, we would be married.

Someone took my coffee, and I soon found myself at the bottom of the stairs, holding an arm out for her. Her hand shook a little, so I covered it with one of my own.

The family parted before us, lining the path to the back door.

"Ready?" I whispered.

She nodded slightly and accepted a small bouquet of flowers from Thea, who stood at her elbow.

We stepped out breathed in the cool morning, the pre-dawn light just starting to brighten the sky as we crossed the damp grass to the flower-and-ribbon arch that had been put up at the tree line. Poe circled above us before swooping in and landing on my shoulder. After a gentle squeeze of his talons he took off to settle atop the arch.

Normally, it was the Head of the Bride-to-be's family that would lead the ceremony, but in this circumstance, Avery had asked my father to step in.

He met us at the arch as the family gathered behind us.

As the sun broke over the eastern horizon, Dad began the ceremony. He held a small, sheathed knife in his hands.

"We are gathered here this morning to witness and celebrate a vow of commitment between two people. Today they promise to dedicate themselves to learning about each other in joyous times and through struggle. In health and in sickness. We stand here, two families joined as one, happy not only to witness the beginning of a new journey for Avery and Ezra, but because they have the opportunity to express their aspirations for the future."

Dad motion to me and Avery and I turned to face each other. He drew the knife from it's casing and held it out to me hilt first. I took it carefully, and positioned the point at the base of my ring finger on my left hand.

I took a deep breath. "I, Ezra William Stanwood, take you, Avery, to be my betrothed, to hold in friendship and love until the day we go our separate ways. I will trust and honor you. I will laugh and cry with you through the best and the worst of times, through the difficult and the easy. Whatever may come, I will be there. I give you my hand to hold as we start this journey together."

I pressed the knife into my skin. I didn't feel anything at first as I watched the blood well up around the blade. A testiment to how sharp it was.

Avery took the knife as I handed it over. She placed the blood stained tip on her left hand in the same place I'd cut mine. Her eyes then focused on mine, capturing my heart with her gaze.

"I, Avery Christine Manser, take you, Ezra, to be my betrothed, to hold you in friendship and love until the day we might go our separate ways. I will trust and honor you. I will laugh and cry with you, through the best and the worst times, through the difficult and the easy. Whatever may come, I will be there. I give you my hand to hold, as we start this journey together."

She smiled nervously at me, and cut her hand, just as I had mine. After passing the knife back to my father, Avery reached for me, and we clasped our wounded hands together so that the blood and the cuts pressed against each other.

It was a rush of energy, a tingling zap that shocked it's way through my system, leaving in its wake an undeniable pull to my betrothed. If either of us were ever lost, we would be able to find our way back to each other. All we'd have to do is follow our hearts.

The ritual part completed, I followed her gaze as she looked to my father.

He held a white satin ribbon up and started to tie it around our clasped hands.

"May you know nothing but happiness, may the road rise up to meet you, and may the wind be always at your back." He smiled at us both, finishing the knot in the ribbon. "May your time together be happy."

I turned back to Avery and leaned in to kiss her on the cheek. Cheers and applause sprang to life behind us. We moved as one to face our combined families, and I felt relieved and happy at the same time. 

------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but THANK YOU for another new high rank of #170 in Paranormal! Y'all are so awesome and amazing, I'm just in love! 

This section concludes Chapter 5, and while Chapter 6 is written, I would still like another look at it before I start posting it. I hope to have the first section up by the end of next week. 

<3 J

<3 J.D.