Chapter 1

It starts with a choice, a choice changes your life forever. For me it was the SEALS, my name is Lucian Phillips and this is my story, a story of my life and the choices I make.
Today is the day I escape this God forsaken place, I was captured and taken to an enemy compound in the middle of the Sahara desert and when I escape I don't know how I'm going to survive this desert but I have to try.
They're stabbing me right now and I have to wait until they leave the room to put my plan in action. I plan to act like I'm dead and I've been trained to even slow my pulse to a nearly nonexistent beat so they won't know I'm alive. When they drag me outside I'm going to kill the ones carrying me and run.
They just left and their leader is about to come in to start the questioning so I lowered my head as I'm still chained to the ceiling and went limp so I looked dead. The leader came in and I cracked my eyes open just enough so I could see him. He sat in the chair and asked a question.
"What are your military secrets?" When I didn't answer he asked again. I still didn't answer and he looked angry so he punched me which I didn't react to and then I slowed my pulse as he started checking my vitals. Then he called the ones who were stabbing me in here looking livid. "I thought I told you not to kill him yet." He yelled at them. "He was alive when we left the room." Then I heard a slap and he told them to get me down and take me to the pile. They took the chains off and I fell to the floor to keep my act up. They then proceeded to drag me up the stairs and took me the half mile to the pile when I jumped into action. I snapped one guy's neck and knocked the other out and ran as far as I could go.
When I finally couldn't run anymore I found a small cave to rest and try to patch up my wounds and find something to eat. I still had my shirt on so I took it off and used it to patch up my arm. I heard a hiss behind me and turned to see a rattlesnake, that would do for food. I killed the snake and found some dry wood and built a fire using sticks and some dry grass. After I prepared the snake I cooked it over the fire and ate it feeling strength returning once I got some food in me.
After I finished my small meal I went to sleep after putting the fire out, wouldn't want them to find me so soon. I slept for a few hours and then started back to running. I kept running until I got far enough away to last a day or two. I found an abandoned building and went inside making sure it was clear before I set up a little camp inside. When I got that done I stepped out to the well I saw on my way in and pulled up some water, it wasn't much but it was better than nothing. I decided to stay here for the night and I would leave sometime tomorrow. I fell asleep thinking of survival and hoping I would find some more supplies in some abandoned camp somewhere.
The next morning I woke up and stepped outside, it wasn't hot yet but it was getting there so I decided to set out before it did get too hot. I wandered around for the rest of the day when I found shade under a rock to rest under until nighttime. When I lay under the rock I found out just how exhausted I was and fell asleep instantly.
I saw my wife and daughter and when they looked at me they looked sad. "Daddy please come home." My six year old daughter Sarah said. Georgia, my wife begged me to come home and as I tried to walk towards them something was holding me down. I looked down and saw nothing but when I looked back up my wife and baby girl were gone.
I woke up thinking about my family. I hope they're alright, they must really miss me. It was dark so I decided to set off again. I had to make it out of here, not for me, but for my girls, they mean the world to me and I want to enjoy the time I have with them.
I wandered around for three more days when I thought I would never get out of here alive. I haven't had a drop of water for two days and I haven't had food for three. I walked a few more miles when I saw a fire in the distance so I did what anyone would do, I ran towards it knowing I wouldn't survive without supplies. If it was an enemy camp I would sneak in, take what I need, and sneak out.
I'm still weak from lack of water but I would make it to that camp.
I was a few feet from it when I saw someone I recognized. It was Captain Johnson, I stumbled into the camp and collapsed not able to take another step making him turn around in surprise.
He aimed his gun at me and asked someone to turn me on my back, when they did he lowered his gun and called the medic over. "Lucian, what happened? Stay with me." He said and I just managed to get one word out. "Water." Then Captain Johnson told someone to get me some water. When they came back with it I sat up and took it gratefully drinking the whole thing before I blacked out.
When I woke up again I was laying on a cot in a shelter with medical supplies. I tried to sit up but I couldn't, I tried again and managed for a second before I fell back in pain. Blood started seeping through the shirt they put on me when someone walked in. "You're up I see, you've been out for two days." He said and then noticed the blood and got some new bandages before he unwrapped the old ones. "You ripped a few stitches out." He said and started replacing them without painkillers. I tensed up but it didn't hurt as bad as what I've been through in the past two months. He finished and wrapped my wounds with the clean bandages.
"So what exactly happened?" He asked and I told him the whole story. "I was captured and taken to a compound in the middle of the desert. They tortured me for two months before I finally escaped six days ago." I said and then noticed the captain in here. "Well we're glad you made it out alive commander Phillips." He said and I nodded. "Did you tell my family yet?" I asked him and he shook his head. "Good, don't tell them I'm going to surprise them when I go home."