Chapter 15

I woke up the next morning and went downstairs to see my aunt and uncle getting ready to leave. "Good morning guys." I said making them look up. "Morning, I guess it's time for us to go if we wanna beat the traffic." They said and I nodded. "Oh just one question, how can I bend the elements?" I asked my aunt and she came to me.
"Just concentrate on an element and think what you want it to do and it'll do it." She said and I nodded as we went outside to try it. "Let's go down to the beach on the territory so I can try it with water." I told them and they nodded so we went down the hill to the pack's private beach.
I concentrated on the water and thought 'make a wall' and it did, there was an eight foot wall of water standing in front of me and then I let it back down and it crashed back into the ocean. "That was pretty easy." I said and they nodded. I looked up the hill to see my team watching me and I looked back to my aunt and uncle. "I guess we better get back up there, I gotta work today and my team is waiting on me." I told them and they nodded.
We got back up the hill and I went over to my team. "Hey guys, you ready to go?" I asked them and they nodded and I looked back to my aunt and uncle. "I guess I'll see you guys when you come back to visit?" I asked them and they nodded. "Or if you come to Siberia to visit us when you get time off." They said and I nodded.
"I'll try, take care and stay safe." I told them and they nodded and I turned to leave with my team. "Ok Sam, me and you are going to shift into horses and carry two guys on our backs each, you ready to learn how to shift better?" I asked him and he nodded. We got to the edge of the woods and I turned to look at Sam.
"Ok just think 'I want to be a horse' and it'll work, now if you want a certain breed and color think the breed and color you want to be." I told him and he nodded. I shifted into a black gypsy vanner and he followed my lead turning into a white quarter horse. I knelt down and two guys got on my back and Sam did the same and we ran to the base.
Once we got to the gates the guys slipped off our backs and we shifted back to our form and the guards let us in. Once we got in the gates the admiral was waiting on us and a few other teams were suiting up for a mission. "What's going on?" I asked him and he told me.
"Russia is on the verge of declaring war with the United States and the National Guard is being sent to try to prevent it from happening but your team has been chosen to go as backup just incase they can't stop it, the other teams are just getting ready because if we go to war they will need to be ready to go as soon as it begins." He said and I nodded.
"Alright gentlemen, just a peacekeeping mission right now, most of you have done this before and if we go to war you know what to do and if you don't come to me, I have been to a few wars and one lasted a year." I told the team and they nodded. "Now go get ready." I told them. "Yes sir!" They shouted and we all went to get ready.
After we got ready Sam came to me. "I'm kinda new at the peacekeeping missions and wars, what do I do?" He asked and I told him. "Just try to prevent a war and if a war happens find cover and fire at the enemy just don't hit any civilians if you can help it and try to stay alive and don't get surrounded." I told him. "Yes sir, thanks." He said and I nodded. "No problem, I figured you would need to know how to do this because I was a newbie once." I said and he nodded and we went to the chopper.
"Alright gentlemen, ROE is don't fire unless fired upon, we're trying to prevent a war not start one do I make myself clear?" I asked the team. "Hooyah!" They all shouted. "Good, now let's get this done." I said and we lifted off the ground to go to Russia to meet up with the National Guard.
About an hour later we got to the rendezvous point and got out of the chopper. "Welcome, I hope it doesn't come down to war but we're glad to have backup." Someone said when he met us at the chopper. "Thanks, now let's go try to prevent a war." I said and he nodded and we went to meet with the Russian president.
We got to where he was and once I saw his face I knew it would not be easy to change his mind. "Good evening, we came because there was a threat of war with the United States, why would you want to begin a war with us?" One of the National Guardsmen asked the Russian president.
"Different reasons, our military wants your military secrets, we want your government secrets, and we want war." He said and the peacekeeper looked to him. "You know you won't be getting those secrets so why risk the lives of your soldiers to try to take them?" He asked and the president looked angry and he signaled to someone so I was ready for anything.
"Stay alert." I told the team and they nodded and scanned the crowd. I caught sight of a sniper rifle in the distance just before a shot rang out and the peacekeeper was hit. We scrambled for cover carrying the wounded with us. "Hart, help him while I call in backup!" I shouted to him over the gunfire. I got to the radio and called the admiral. "Need backup, it's war now." I told him and the reply was instant. "On our way hold your ground and stay alive." He said and I told him I would and started shooting.
A few minutes later the admiral arrived with the rest of the men and the peacekeeper was losing a lot of blood. "We need a medic." I told the admiral pointing towards the wounded. "Ok, Jarvis get over there!" He shouted to one of the guys and he went to help the peacekeeper.
"Let's get this war over and done with!" The admiral shouted over the gunfire and we all agreed. I was firing at the enemy when I heard someone shout my name. "Captain Phillips, get over here!" He shouted, it was Sam.
I went towards where Sam was calling me over and I saw Lt. Martin laying on the ground with a few bullet wounds in his chest. "Martin, come on stay with me." I told him when I got to him and he nodded his head. "We need a medic!" Sam shouted and someone came over, Jarvis, I think. "Ok, cover me while I try to stabilize him." Jarvis said and we turned to fire at the Russians.
I had a sniper rifle with me and I saw the glint of the sniper in the distance so I got my rifle and aimed at the sniper and fired at him hitting him on the first shot. The Russians had several losses while we only had a few wounded so it won't be long before they retreat.
Using my rifle I got about ten more and the Russians were slowly backing away so I got my M4A1 assault rifle and we killed a few more when they finally retreated. When you start a war you need to be better prepared and they weren't even very skilled. I looked back at Lt. Martin and he wasn't looking too great and I knew we would lose a team member, a friend, and a brother in arms but I had to try to give him motivation to live.
"Martin, come on, we won you have to stay alive for your wife and kids, they need you." I told him and he looked at me sadly. "Just tell them I tried, tell them how much I love them and I'll see them again someday." He said and gave me his just incase letter with two small boxes one for Jennifer and one for Katie and took his last breath as Ruvel showed up.
"Ok Silas Martin, time to go." He said waving his scythe over his body and a glowing blue mist rose from the body of Lt. Martin and it took the form of Silas and he smiled and saluted us before he dissolved away. Ruvel looked at us after the spirit of Silas dissolved and spoke to us. "He was a good man, he will be sent to eternal peace in heaven where he will await his family." He said and then disappeared.
We picked up Lt. Martin's body and placed him on a stretcher to take him home where he will be buried. His wish was for me to sing the first part of one hell of an amen by Brantley Gilbert during my speech at his funeral for his family if he were to die in a war so I would.
On the ride home I thought of how I would tell his family, this wouldn't be the first time I've had to do this but it's harder when you know the family and know how much they loved each other. His little girl was a daddy's girl, always wanting to be like him and his son, he's just a baby who will have to grow up without his father. I grew up with Silas in school and we joined together when we graduated, I've known him and his wife for years and this will be one of the hardest deaths I had to tell a family.
We arrived back at the base and I got my team to come with me to tell his family so Sam and I turned into horses and as two got on my back and one on his we ran back to the houses. At the edge of the woods once the houses were in view the men got off our backs and we shifted back to humans.
We went up to Silas's front door and knocked. A few minutes later his wife answered and we took our hats off. "Mrs. Jennifer Martin, I'm sorry to inform you that lieutenant Silas Martin was killed in the war." I told her and gave her the letter and the little box Silas handed to me.
Once she received the two items she hit her knees in shock so I helped her up and sat her on the couch. "I'm very sorry for your loss Mrs. Martin, he wanted me to tell you he tried his best and he loved you all very much." I told her as she began crying.
I stood up and walked out the door with my team and we walked back to the base to set up arrangements. When we got there the admiral was waiting for us. "How did it go?" He asked me and I looked at him. "She's devastated and when her daughter wakes up she'll be finding out." I told him and he nodded. "The peacekeeper is going to live, the bullet went straight through and they got him stabilized in time." He said and I nodded.
"Do you have a speech ready yet?" He asked and I shook my head. "Not yet, the only part I have is the wish he had for me to sing the first part of a song for his family and that's all I have so far, have arrangements been made yet?" I asked him.
"The funeral is tomorrow at 10 a.m. at the pack territory where they have a military cemetery by the ocean for any of their pack members in the military." He said and I nodded. "Ok, I'll have my speech ready for it, although I'm not sure how good it's going to be." I told him and he nodded and dismissed us to go home so we did.
"Captain?" Sam asked and I looked to him. "I wish I could've done more to help him, maybe he would be alive if I could have." He said and I stopped and looked at him. "There was nothing you could've done, it was his time to go and he knew it, that's why he left peacefully." I told him and he nodded.
"Ok, I think I understand where you're coming from, dad said he did the same thing the night he got to visit." He said and I nodded. "He did go peacefully, I believe it's better to know when you're time is up so you can go without pain, and so you can know your life was long enough." I told him and we started back walking.
We all went to our homes and as I was going by Silas's house I heard his daughter screaming and crying so I went to knock on their door again to try to help them through this. Jennifer answered a minute later with tears going down her cheeks. "May I come in? I have the arrangements and I need to talk to your daughter, I know how much of a daddy's girl she was and I hope to help her." I told her and she nodded letting me in.
Once I saw little Katie I knew she needed a few words of comfort. "Ok so the funeral is going to be tomorrow at 10 a.m. and I'll pick you and your kids up to take you to the location." I told Jennifer and she nodded then I looked to Katie. "Katie, come here." I told her and she did, I'm a family friend and she knows me pretty well.
"Katie, your father went peacefully and without pain, he loves you and told me to tell you he'll see you again someday and wanted me to give you this." I told her and gave her the second box Silas gave me just before he died. She opened it and pulled out a little necklace that said 'daddy's girl' on the charm and she pulled out a little note handing me the necklace to put around her neck.
She read the note out loud so we could hear. "My little girl, this is to remind you I'll always be with you, through thick and thin and you will always be my baby girl." She read and looked at me. "Thank you Mr. Lucian." She said and I nodded.
"He was sent to heaven where he can watch over you and keep you safe, take care of your little brother and help your mother and when she needs you to do something for her, do it without question." I told her and she nodded with a small smile. "Yes sir." She said and hugged me so I hugged her back and then got up.
"I guess I better get home to my family, I'll see you both tomorrow night." I told them and left. When I got home Georgia was waiting for me. "I heard what happened, are you ok?" She asked and I nodded. "Lieutenant Martin's funeral is tomorrow and I have to think of my speech." I told her and she nodded. "I think I'm going to bed, I'll see you in a few minutes?" She asked and I nodded and gave her a goodnight kiss.
I sat at the kitchen table with a pen and a piece of paper trying to think of a speech for this. As I thought I began writing and once I read over what I wrote I knew it was perfect so I folded it and placed it on the coffee table where I wouldn't forget it and went upstairs to go to bed. I fell asleep hoping my speech would go well with the situation and it would help the family.
I woke up at 7 the next morning and went to get ready so I got my shower and got dressed in my uniform and by the time the other three were ready it was 8 so I went to meet with my team and we went to the base to meet up with the others. I was going to shift into a white horse and let Jennifer and her kids ride on my back to the funeral site so we got the admiral and a few other teams and left to go to the funeral.
I got to the Martin household and saw his family waiting outside in black clothes for me. "Ok when I become a horse you can all get on my back and I'll give you a ride to the burial site." I told Jennifer and she nodded so I turned into a white gypsy vanner as they're some of the best looking horses to use for a military funeral.
I knelt down so Katie could get on my back and Jennifer got on behind her with Joshua in her arms. I stood back up and with my team in front of me we walked towards the funeral. We got to my house and Sam turned into a white gypsy vanner and let my family on his back and we started walking side by side. "You ok up there?" I asked Jennifer and she said she was.
We got to the cemetery and the casket was already there with a flag laying over it. The Martin family got off my back and my family got off his and we shifted back to our forms.
I stood in my spot beside the casket and waited for the pack to arrive, the whole pack was attending and everyone filed in within thirty minutes and the admiral gave his speech and told me to give mine.
"Today we say goodbye to a friend, and a brother in arms, lieutenant Silas Martin was a good man who loved his family and he wanted me to sing the first part of a song for them to hear and so I will and tell you the reason he chose this song." I said and started to sing.

Preacher said he died too young
Over there toting that gun
For Uncle Sam and our freedom
Mom and daddy dressed in black
They folded up that flag
handed it to dad
started prayin
yeah he went out 21 guns blazing

That's one hell of an amen
that's the only way to go
fightin the good fight
till the good Lord calls you home
so be well my friend
till I see you again
cause this is our last goodbye
and its a hell of an amen

"Now it really is one hell of an amen when you go peacefully fighting for your country and family. He wanted me to sing this so his family would know, so his wife would know he didn't go without a fight, he tried his best to make it back alive but he died knowing it was his time to go. So farewell until we meet again my friend, you went out fighting the good fight." I said and then they started the 21 gun salute.
Once that was over we lowered his casket into the grave after we folded the flag and handed it to his wife with his dog tags. Today we buried our friend, our teammate, and our brother in arms but the sun was shining brightly so I knew it was his way of saying everything would be ok.
I met up with his family after the funeral and his wife thanked me. "Thank you, your speech really helped me see that he didn't suffer." She said and I nodded. "It's what he would've done for me if I was in his place." I told her and she nodded.
"Now how about I give you a ride back to your house and by the way, he told me he wanted you to find love again, you deserve a good man." I told her and she nodded as I turned into a horse letting them on my back as Sam turned into a horse and let my family on his back.
We walked back to the houses with the team and everyone else behind us and I dropped Jennifer and her kids off at their house and they went inside. After Sam dropped my family off at our house we shifted back to our forms and he began sniffing the air. "What is it?" I asked him and he shook his head. "I don't know, but it smells good." He said and turned towards the crowd and a woman stepped forward and walked up to Sam.
"Mate." She said and I smiled. "Congratulations Sam, you have a mate." I told him and he smiled. "Looks like it." He said and pulled her into a hug. I dismissed the team to go home and they did and as the team began to go to their homes so did the pack members except the family of Sam's mate who came up to me. "Who was that who walked away with our daughter?" Her father asked and I told him. "That would be Sam Hamilton, a member of my SEAL team, a shifter, and her mate." I told them and they nodded and left so I went home.
We spent the rest of the day watching movies and after we ate supper we went to bed and went to sleep. I fell asleep thinking about how my speech helped Silas's family and with a small smile on my face I fell asleep.