Chapter 3 【The Cat and the Rabbit】

Chapter 3

It shocked everyone. It was almost unheard of for a Gryffindor and Slytherin to get along together but yet here they were, Autumn Greene and Harry Potter, having a conversation without involving insults. It made both them uncomfortable; everyone had their attention on the pair instead of Professor Snape.

It bothered him and he was tempted to deduct a number of points from them, both Gryffindor and Slytherin. For once, surprisingly, he felt to be generous and give them a second chance, after all it was their first day.

When class ended Autumn didn’t know what to do.

Harry was so kind to her and she felt it would be rude to just leave him for Slytherin. If she does leave then Ron might go on about how she was ‘using them.’ But if she stays then Slytherin might give her the cold shoulder.

Harry was close to Autumn like glue and behind them were Ron and Hermione who found it odd, their friendship.

“I wonder why Harry is so obsessed with Autumn,” Hermione mused to Ron. He shrugged his shoulders.

“I’m not sure, maybe it’s because Autumn was with him when they asked us where 9 ¾ was.” Ron suggested. Hermione’s mouth slanted into a slight frown. “We have to be careful around her.”

Ron looked at her. “What do you mean?”

“Well it’s obvious isn’t it? They’re both going to be a target for Slytherin. You heard what Fred said about them.”

“Let’s go to class together,” Harry suggested. Autumn opened her mouth but decided not to say it. They didn’t have the next class together. Potions and Flying were the only classes both Slytherin and Gryffindor had together, so she heard from Pansy. She nodded timidly.

“Harry, can I ask you something?” Autumn asked softly.

He gave her a smile, “Sure,”

She returned the smile with a smaller one. “Why are you so nice to me? I mean, I am a Slytherin after all.”

“Because you-“

“Greene, over here!” Autumn turned around to see Pansy, Vincent, Gregory, and Draco. They all had a smirk plastered on their face. She turned back to Harry. “One minute.” She walked towards them casually.

“Yes?” she asked.

Pansy suddenly coiled her arm around hers, “Let’s go to class together.”

Before Autumn could open her mouth to protest and say she was going to go with Harry, Vincent said, “It must’ve been torture sitting next to Potter and that Mudblood.” He sneered. Gregory nodded in agreement. Autumn wanted to back to Harry to at least tell him she couldn’t go but she was surrounded by them. They began to walk to their next class, Transfiguration.

Autumn turned her head back and gave Harry an apologetic expression. She mouthed the word sorry.

Harry watched Malfoy’s group drag Autumn away from him. He really did loathe Malfoy. First he insulted his new friend Ron on the train and now he’s trying to ruin his new found friendship with Autumn. He bit the inside of his cheek, knowing this would only be the beginning.

His chain of thoughts dissolved when Hermione and Ron caught up with him.

“Harry! Let’s get to class,” Hermione said. She noticed the group of Slytherin walking away from her. She could already imagine what just happened.

“What are you waiting for? We have to get to Transfiguration class or else we’re going to be late!” Ron exclaimed before he pushed Harry and Hermione in the direction of the class.