Submitting A Manuscript Without Dying

Before you submit a manuscript to a publisher you must have a perfect book. It must be edited. It must be free from errors. I can't stress this enough because publishers and don't have time or patience for anything subpar. Workers will read through hundreds of manuscripts and the majority will end up on the floor, only a few will actually make it to the head. 

It's different if you have a literary agent/editor because they send your manuscript off for you, but if you're doing it yourself, you need to find publishers that will accept unsolicited submissions. You need to research and talk to your chosen publishing house because they're not all the same. Some only publish children's stories, some do short stories; horror; solicited; poetry; YA. Some publishers want you to format your manusript in a specific manner and won't accept anything else.

Before you send off your work, it's best- and just polite- to first send a cover/query letter ( this also applies to querying literary agents):

- Query letter is one page long. 

- Format of three paragraphs: intro, condensed synopsis, then author's bio(not your life story, not informal, just the basics)

- That's it, you're just asking for a chance to have sample chapters of your book read

Then they'll tell you if they want to read your work.

So, here's an outline of the GENERAL manuscript format and submission guidelines:

- You need two-point line spacing 

- Font no bigger than 14 point, no smaller than 12

- Clear font such as Courier or Courier New(your chosen publisher may have specific guidelines)

- Black text on a white background

- Name and contact information(address, phone number, email) in the top left corner of the FIRST page. Also on the first page, put a full word count in the top right corner. Your story title needs to go about hlaf-way down the page with your name(pseudonym) directly below- right justified.

- You need a right justified header on every page(not including the first title page) with a keyword from your title, your name, and the page number i.e. 

BOOK/FISK/12

- Begin your story on the page after your title page, quarter of the way down.

- Left justify paragraphs, right margins should be set to 'ragged' in Word.

- 2 cm (1 inch) margin all around page (for editor annotations)

- Indent each paragraph with 1 cm (1/2 inch)

- Do not put a line between paragraphs, just indent

- To denote a scene break, use a hash '#' on the above line, on the next line begin the new scene

- Use no typography, not even italicising. Use underlining to show emphasis (it's clearer)

- At the end of your story, miss a line and then on the next line write 'END' and centre it so the editor knows it's the end or they might think they're missing a page.

Done that? Right, now print it off on good quality paper and bind it carefully, do NOT staple pages together. Put the printed manuscript in a box carefully. Inside this box you must also send a self-addressed stamped envelope, this is so that the publishers can send you back your work if you want it back. It's also a good idea to include a postcard note with two boxes: We are interested in publishing your work, please contact us? (tick box) and We are not interest in this work? (tick box) this way they can tick abox, send it via your prepaid envelope and you''ll find out their answer a lot quicker. You will often not receive a reply( if at all) for many months- do not bombard them with calls or emails during this wait because it's the best way to get on the bad side of an editor/publisher and have your work thrown in the slush pile.

Remember that you need to have addressed your parcel to the correct person, find out via your specific publisher, it'll sometimes be listed on their website, or you can contact them and just ask. 

Also check if that publisher allows simultaneous submissions(sending the same book to several publishers at the same time). Most won't, especially when it comes to First Rights and Eclusive Rights. Check.

Remember that publishing your book is a business. It's a profession so be professional, and most of all polite. Have faith in your work.