Seventeen

A twinkle. Having looked for the word to describe Imani's eyes when she talked about the things she loved, liked or was passionate about, he finally found the correct term. She had a sparkle in her big dark eyes every time Luke Junior's name was brought into the conversation. 

Through the dinner, he found himself noticing little things that she did. When he complimented her, she would always wave his comment off. Whenever he said something that annoyed her, her nostrils would flare slightly and everytime the conversation went beyond PG-13, her eyes would move away from his and she would take deeper breaths. 

These were the little things that were making the dinner fun for Vincent. Finding out these things was quite intriguing to him. Her habits made him curious to know more and surprisingly he was enjoying her company.

He couldn't remember the last time he had genuinely smiled so many times or talked so freely about himself. His bluntness sometimes crept up but that was only when he could tell that the topic of conversation was going somewhere he didn't like. Like when she started talking about her dad. Quickly, he had dismissed the conversation and returned to his food. Imani had said nothing, sensing that perhaps she had gone too far and a few moments later Vincent had started the conversation up again - asking her about her childhood.

"My brother and I would always run up and hide from my mom when she yelled that it was time to  come in." She laughed, smiling fondly at the memory. "We would be having so much fun, neither of us wanted to go in. Going in meant homework!"

"You have a brother?" Vincent asked.

He didn't miss the look that passed over her face at his question. The pain and the hurt that marred her features. She nodded, suddenly finding interest in the cutlery in front of her. 

Vincent saw that she wasn't willing to keep talking so he - yet again - changed the subject. "Dessert?"

"Beg your pardon?" 

He lifted the menu. "Dessert. Do you want to order any?"

"Uh.. you know what? I am incredibly full." Imani answered, placing her knife and fork across each other on the plate.

Vincent nodded and raised his hand for the bill. When it arrived, he watched as she reached down for her purse. He reached out and put his hand on her arm. "It's on me, don't worry."

"It's fine, I don't mind paying for my meal."

"Like I said - it's on me, it's easier."

She sighed in defeat and leaned back in her seat. Once he paid and their plates were cleared, they got out of their seats and left the restaurant, crutches and all. Imani was alarmingly quiet and Vincent could only guess that it was because of the mention of her brother.

"Benjamin said that he can only manage to park two blocks away so-."

"He expects me to limp all the way there? How ridiculous."

She scowled at him and he sucked his teeth. She wrapped an arm around his waist and took one of his crutches away from him. Together, they stumbled and hopped to the car. Silently, she gave him back his crutch when they reached the car and removed her arm from his body. Benjamin hurriedly helped Vincent into the car - not wanting to make the same mistake as earlier. 

Once his boss was seated comfortably, Benjamin assisted Imani and then jogged over to the driver's side. 

In the back of the car, Imani stared out of the window, stuck in her thoughts and memories. Every so often, Vincent would watch her but it wasn't as if she noticed. She was too occupied.