Chapter Nine

Allan skidded to a stop, looking behind.

"Hey, wait," he called to Tuck. "They're not here."

Tuck turned. They retraced their steps until they were close enough to hear the commotion beyond the door. Allan drew his sword, but Tuck reached out and held his arm.

"Wait," he said quietly. "It sounds like there are too many."

"We've got to help them..."

"And get caught? It doesn't make sense Allan. No, best that we meet Robin as planned and he will help us get them out once we've removed the ransom."

Allan stood listening, his grip tightening on the hilt. What Tuck said made sense. Moments later, he heard a thud, and then the grunts and clangs ceased. He could voices, but not distinguish the words.

"Come on," said Tuck.

Allan glared at him.

"We should at least take a look. What if they're injured?"

He shook free and crept up to the heavy door, pushing it open a crack.

"....she'll hang you anyway," Guy was saying.

Then he heard Archer's reply. Allan backed away from the door, furious. He beckoned Tuck with him.

"I knew it," he muttered, "I knew he'd turn on us."

"He could be just trying to buy time." Tuck said fairly. He had heard as well.

"Let's not wait to find out. We'll do what you said, we'll find Robin and he can help rescue Giz."

They hastened to the meeting room. The high-backed seats where Vaisey's conspirators had once sat were still placed at intervals around the walls. No one was there. A substantial table sat on a large rug, obscuring the pit from casual observers. Allan hefted an edge experimentally.

"We'll need help to move it," he said. "Shouldn't Robin and the others be here by now?"

"I'd have thought so. We'll just have to be patient and wait."

Tuck leaned back against the table, and Allan seated himself in one of the conspirators' chairs. When he saw Tuck's eyes on him, he leapt up and began to pace.

"Alright, I know what you're thinking. Much would say it too."

"Say what?" Tuck asked mildly.

"That it's where I belong, the traitor's seat."

"You still think of yourself that way? Do you doubt your own loyalty?"

"Of course not, but it doesn't change what I did."

"From what I hear you made the best of a bad situation; men have done stranger things under torture. I understand you never betrayed the lady Marian. You kept the secret of the camp, and you saved Robin and the others from a fatal trap."

"I know now why Robin keeps you round, you make me sound like a bleedin' champion. I wouldn't let the others hear you talk like that."

"They already know it, trust me."

Allan snorted.

"Right – well, let's test that shall we next time they snipe at me about it." He paced to the door and looked out onto the silent corridor. "So what do we do now? They should be here."

"I'll stay here so we don't miss them, you check the war room."

Allan ducked into the deserted hall, keeping close to the wall, listening. He made it undetected to the room dominated by Vaisey's map table. No one was there. He walked up to the wall and, recalling Guy's instructions to Robin, worked the mechanism that opened onto the secret chamber. It was empty. Allan stood, deliberating a moment; decided to risk it. Better to be thorough, he would go and check the servants' entrance, see if perhaps their timing was out and Raff was still waiting there for the gang.