Epilogue

"No Meg, that's about the worst idea you've ever had," Guy grumbled, straightening up, stretching out his back. "It's not possible."

Knew instantly it was the wrong thing to say, but the morning had sapped his patience. Someone's carelessness had tipped over a pile of slate tiles as they were being lifted; clearing this up had put them well behind.

"Of course it is," she argued, as he helped her from the cart. "The birth's two months away, and it'll only be for a few weeks. If the lodge isn't ready I'll move back to Bonchurch a couple of weeks before, I promise."

Guy wondered if he'd have any time for the repairs on their home. Since being reinstated, Robin had organised the rebuilding of Locksley's church. Work had started while Guy was away, but it was still only half complete. Add to this that he was splitting his time between there and Knighton, where Archer was supervising the rebuilding, and there seemed no end to what needed to be done.

"It won't work," he said. "What if something goes wrong? You need to be closer to Matilda. And you need someone to help out, you can't be stuck there on your own."

"It isn't far, and I won't be alone. We can hire a girl to come in most days, and I'm sure Eve will come and help and sit with me for the others. Please think about it," she coaxed. "Besides, it can only help the villagers get used to us, if they see you living and working there amongst them."

"What, in a peasant's cottage?" scoffed Guy. "They won't respect me for that."

"They understand hard work and fairness."

"You said that about me helping out here, but they still look at me as if I've grown two heads."

"I'm sure that's not why they look. The women, anyway." She shaded her eyes from the sun, looking up at him with laughter and something else in them.

"Minx." Guy smiled in spite of himself, drawing her close in beside him.

Despite Meg's jest, it was clear the villagers didn't know what to make of him. Holding tight their grudges - most justified, if he were honest with himself – and wondering what motive he might have for being there, even though here he was in his shirtsleeves, and on the warmest days not even that, sweating and toiling along with the rest of them.

He'd think of Hubert sometimes, wondering what he would have to say about it all. Realised he'd probably just stand and watch and nod gravely, as if to say it was no less than he should be doing. Guy knew that himself. This was even more true for Knighton Hall; no amount of sweat or aching muscles could erase the debt he owed there. At least some good would come of it. Robin had agreed with the king, before his departure, that along with making Archer a knight this and an associated parcel of land would be granted to him. It would still be in the family then, and Archer would at least be somewhere that he could be kept an eye on.

Eve had climbed down from the cart, and was dispensing food to the men.

"Tell her it's madness, won't you?" Guy said, taking the parcel of bread and cheese and the apple she handed him.

"But I don't think it is," Eve replied.

"I suppose you two hatched this idea together," he muttered.

"That should give you confidence it's a good one then, shouldn't it?" This said with a small, mischievous smile, but then Eve leaned towards him and said, quietly and seriously: "I think it will do her good, both of you in fact. You've had no time alone since you've been back, she misses that. And for all that Much is a darling, he does fuss a bit. A little quietness and some space for the two of you can't do any harm."

Guy wondered if they'd outstayed their welcome, but Eve had anticipated this thought.

"You know you can stay with us, for as long as you like. I'll miss her when she goes. Maybe even you as well," she smiled.