Chapter Three

TRIGGER WARNING

Things have been extremely strange ever since two weeks ago at the theater. Pony has been acting secretive around me, which is out of the ordinary to say the least.

I raced down the hallway of our high school, grabbing Ponyboy by his backpack straps, spinning him to my direction.

"Pony, what is going on? I waited for you after English and you completely walked past me! Did I do something?" I pleaded with him for an answer, and hopefully, this time, he wouldn't stutter an excuse like he does with Darrel.

"No, well, yes.. I-uh, I mean.. I'm not suppose to say a word, especially to you."

"Pone, don't lie to me!" The bell sounded, signaling last period to begin.

"Saved by the bell." He whispered. I groaned and stomped to class, my mind swarmed with possible explanations, but to no avail.

After class, I found Ponyboy in line to get on the bus to go home. I grabbed him by the shoulder, pulling him to the side.

"The joke is over Pony, tell me what's on your mind or else." I said sternly, lacking patience. He sighed and pulled me over more.

"Okay, don't freak out, it is about Johnny. He's been... well, ever since the movies, he's started to... self harm."

Silence. Pure silence was the loudest I could be. I gasped at the wave of pain radiating throughout my body. A single word didn't dare to drip between my lips as I scrambled for consciousness.

"W-Why?" I choked.

"He feels like everyone is giving up on him and that bitch of a girlfriend is convincing him all this bullshit, saying that you didn't actually care about him or that his home life is gonna kill him before he kills himself. He doesn't know what to do with himself."

I squeezed my hands shut, trying to convince myself that the air in my palms was her neck, fearing it would soon be a reality. How heartless do you have to be to tell this helpless puppy his life is a joke and his own self pity is the punch line?

I needed to get to him. I had too.

My hands reached in my pocket, searching for my switchblade. Passing it to Ponyboy for his safety, assuming he left his at home, I began to run to the lot. He would definitely be there.

-----

About ten yards from the lot, I had to stop to catch my breath, for my lungs could not take much more running.

Then, there he was, sitting all by himself. My mind raced as I attempted to jog to him. Limp and weak, my feet continued to drag me on until all I had to do was cross the street. Simple. But not.

Tires screeching, a black mustang drove up right in front of me. Startled, I stumbled back, nearly tripping over my own feet.

Please keep driving I thought, please.

I reached into my pocket to be prepared as I saw two of the socs step out of their car, only to find.. I had nothing.

Curse words played on repeat as I tried to think of ways to escape. I speedily walked past them and down the sidewalk, trying to avoid bringing them anywhere near Johnny. They trailed behind me, whistling and cat-calling me. I gagged and shuttered in fear. I pulled my high wasted shorts down.

In a matter of seconds, they were both caught up to my pace, taunting me as I stopped in my tracks. My pulse quickened as I saw their revolting smirks. I gazed at Johnny, noticing their yelling which caught his attention.