Chapter 9: Family

I ran into the safety of the jungle and ducked behind some trees. As soon as the boat had touched the shore, I jumped off and made a dash for the cover of the greenery. It wasn't that the pirates were malicious towards me on our short journey back, nor did they say anything or chase me as I scurried from them. But without Arthur around, I was worried about just how far his promise would reach.

I pressed my back to a tall palm tree, catching my breath. Already the humidity of the jungle seeped into my lungs and made me feel like I was breathing water. I heard a splash of water, and carefully I turned my head back to the ocean. The pirates had turned the dingy around and were rowing back to the ship. They hadn't even gotten out to follow me into the trees.

I put my hand on the tree to steady myself and released another breath of relief. Finally, I was rid of the pirates, and of Arthur, and that ship, and was back on dry land. I leaned over and touched my head to the tree, having to prove to myself that I had indeed escaped. I was not trapped. After actually being trapped so many times, it was nice to have this moment of solitude. This singular moment where I was not bombarded by Lost Boys, or jumping from waterfalls, or bickering with pirates. I was alone, but I was not yet at peace.

I had to find my way back to the hideout. I had to get back and warn the others that I was free, so that they did not attack the ship for no reason. I knew that they were probably preparing for a battle, just like Wendy said they did when Hook captured them all before. But going to fight was unnecessary now that I was free. I just needed to get back and warn them before it was too late.

I stood up straight and looked at the mess of trees and plants behind me. I had absolutely no idea where I was, or where the hideout was, but I feared that I was running out of time. At any moment they could attack the pirates, and who knows how that will turn out.

I held my dress in my hands and took off running into the jungle again. I liked it so much more when I strolled through leisurely with Peter and Wendy earlier, but I had no time to waste. I had to get there as soon as possible, where ever there was. I had to admit that running over logs and ducking under branches was better now than it was when I was being chased. Sure, I had to worry about getting there before they did anything reckless, but at least I didn't have to worry about a bullet in my back.

I continued running around trees and passed stumps for quite a while. My hair was stuck to my neck with sweat and I could almost drink the humidity from the air. I paused and leaned against a tree with blue flowers at the top, pulling the neck of my dress away from me in an attempt to cool down. I groaned in frustration at my lack of knowledge of this jungle. If I ever got back, the first thing I would do was get the boys to teach me how to navigate. It was infuriating how close I was, and yet how very far away.

There was a lot at stake. If they set off on the ship before I got there, blood could be spilled. My sibling's blood. The blood of those poor little boys. I couldn't have that. I couldn't have them fight those ruthless pirates because they thought I was still trapped inside. I had to get back, and soon.

My heart was beating fast from both adrenaline and fear. I put my hands on my stomach, for once again I felt ill. I didn't know exactly what to blame the illness on -- it could have been any number of the things I endured -- but I had a feeling it was from anxiety.

I tilted my head up to the canopy of trees, the top swaying ever so slightly from the breeze, and squinted into the sunlight.

"Please," I yelled out to nobody in particular, "Help me get back."

The sickness welled up inside me and I dropped down, my knees pressing into the moist soil. I hung my head at my neck, overcome by the events that could happen because of my doing. If I didn't make it back to the burrow in time, it could be chaos.