Chapter 10: Wounded

After my... revealing... conversation with Wendy upon my arrival to the burrow last night, I decided not to spend the rest of the evening with them.

I remembered seeing some rooms with beds and hammocks, so I stood from the table and stormed off in a huff. Nobody got up to follow me, and I was thankful.

A short walk down the hall and I found the room. Slamming the wooden door behind me with all my might, I grabbed a scratchy looking pillow from a nearby bed and I screamed into it and laid down.

I was beyond angry. I was furious.
Arthur was right! Time and time again, Arthur has been proving himself right. He warned me that family meant nothing here, but I didn't believe him. I truly thought my siblings would come to save me, as I would have saved them. How could they not, I thought, we are blood. Is blood not thicker than water? Apparently not, seeing as they did nothing to rescue me. Arthur was correct.

He was also correct about Peter. That awful little boy lied to Wendy, to everybody, and told them that he had saved me. Oh, yes, the miracle boy had saved me. He swooped in, defeated the pirate, and carried me away like a knight in shining armour. Of course he would make himself out to be a hero, especially to my sister. That boy left me to die on that ship because I wasn't worth the trouble of saving. He would pay for what he did. One day, I would make him pay.

I must have fallen asleep somewhere among my rage because I was abruptly awoken by a loud whistle the next morning.

Upon hearing the sound, I jolted upright and was blinded by the morning sunshine from a window on the ceiling.

I held my hand over my eyes and squinted into the sun, "What's happening?"
"Wakey wakey!" Slightly smiled as he walked over to me, "Get outta bed, sleepy head. The sun's been up for an hour."
"You're my alarm clock now?"
He shrugged, "Guess so."
I groaned and shoved my face back into the pillow, mumbling, "Go away. I want to sleep. It's much too early."
"Too early?" He repeated, "Everyone else has been up for an hour."
"Good for them." I mumbled again, the haziness of sleep pulling me under once more.

"Breakfast will be gone if you don't get up soon. You'll have nothing to eat."

I heard him speaking, but I was too deep into unconsciousness to respond. Finally, his voice stopped, and I thought I was getting back to my blissful dream.

Until I felt the blanket be ripped from my shoulders and I was flicked on the arm.

I sat up again and glared at Slightly, "Fine. I'm awake now. Happy?"
He beamed and held out his arms to the door behind me, "This way, lady Ophelia."

Rolling my eyes at him, I put my feet over the side of the bed and stood up. I quickly brushed my fingers through my frizzy hair until there were no tangles, and I straightened out my dress as I walked down the hall.

"Up stairs." Slightly directed me.
I did as he said and climbed the stairs, the burrow totally silent, but asked, "Isn't that dangerous? What about the pirates? I've seen them in these parts before."
"Eh don't worry about them," He shrugged, opening the hatch for me, "We've got scouts patrolling the perimeter so they'll warn us if they see anything."

I climbed the last step of the burrow and stood on open ground, feeling the grass beneath my toes. I wrapped my arms around myself and rubbed my arms at the mention of pirates, putting my head down.

"Hey, you alright?" Slightly asked, noticing my mood change and putting a hand on my shoulder.

Slightly was a couple inches shorter than me, the top of his head reaching about my nose, his fox hat making him seem taller.