Chapter 12: Old Habits

It took me the rest of sunrise to find my way back to the burrow. I had an easier time getting back since I had done it twice already, and certain landmarks began to stick out to me. Go North from the beach until you reach a gnarled tree with branches that form an 'M', then turn left and continue on another forty paces or so and turn right at a bush with blue flowers, and from there it's a straight walk until you reach the burrow. Unfortunately, that was a very long walk. If I had to put a number to it, I would say the burrow was at least two miles from the beach, which was extremely unlucky for me.

The rising sun helped me keep my directions, since I knew it rose from the East. Today I would make it a point to get a map from Slightly, or at least create my own. I barely knew my way around this place, and that could bode dangerous in the upcoming future.

Night time temperatures were leaving with the fading darkness, and before long I felt the humidity creeping its way back into the jungle. It was actually quite interesting to watch everything come to life around me. As I walked, I saw owls nesting themselves into the deep recesses of the trees, a long night behind them. I heard the high pitched clicks of bats as they also searched for a place to avoid the rising sun. There I stood, a stranger to this habitat, watching it shift from one system of life to another. Night to day. Darkness to light. It was remarkable.

Reptiles crawled from their hiding places, no longer fearing night time predators, and pursued the warmth of the sunlight seeping through the thick canopy. The sky morphed from dark blue and black to the most spectacular display of color. Oranges, reds, pinks, and yellows streaked across the light blue of the morning sky -- like brush strokes on a canvas.

When I reached the clearing where the burrow sat, the jungle had changed from docile to active. Birds chirped, animals scurried, and I found I no longer had a need for my lantern. I brought it up to my face and opened the tiny door, blowing out the dying flame inside.

"I see I'm not the only early riser."

The voice startled me so much that I dropped the lantern, hearing it shatter at my feet. I whipped my head around, my hands shaking in fear.

Peter sat on a branch of the tree, one leg dangling over the side and the other curled at his chest. His green hat covered his eyes, his head resting against the trunk, but he tilted it and looked down at me. Seeing the lantern broken at my feet, he cracked a smile.

"Didn't mean to scare you, Wolf Girl."
I took a breath, calming my fear, and brushed down my dress, "I'm Wolf Girl now?"
Peter pushed the hat back in its usual position and sat up, leaning on his knee, "I had a few other nicknames in mind, but I don't think you woulda liked them very much."

I briefly glanced down at the broken lantern at my feet and then back up at him, "Most likely not. I'm not a fan of much of what comes out of your mouth."
Peter sighed, "Here we go again. The whole 'not liking me' thing."
I crossed my arms, shrugging, "You brought it on yourself, Tree Boy."

He lied down on the hearty tree branch, his hands behind his head, "Some how I'll make it up to you. Whatever it is that's made you hate me so much, I'll fix it."

I paused, momentarily baffled by his response. Yet again, I looked at him and saw nothing but a little boy. Someone who doesn't understand that actions have consequences, and that those consequences can't always be fixed. Someone who is blind to any and all trivial problems, not because they choose to ignore them, but because they simply do not recognise them. Even the way Peter spoke reminded me of a child. I looked at him and all the anger I felt melted away. When I stripped away the memories of what he caused for me, of what he did, all I was left with was a kid. A headstrong, stubborn, curious, little kid.