Chapter 18: Search

An echo of a voice resonated through my skull and for a moment, for one precious moment, I felt safe. This calming voice guided me through the wild mishap of my mind and carried me along a sweet tasting breeze. I floated with it as it wound its way into my hair, my mind, my soul. It was a lightness. A spark that warmed chilled bones and awakened things long forgotten. An ember that rekindled a fire. And it certainly rekindled something inside of me.

I was disrupted in this dream world by a soft nudge on my ear, followed by a low inhale of breath. Something wet and rough dragged across my cheek and I blindly swatted it away. The wetness was persistent and invaded my nose, prodding its way inside my nostrils. I harshly exhaled through my nose and my hand connected with fur as I shoved the nuisance away again. When my fingers brushed against the familiar surface, I was no longer annoyed, but intrigued.

I cracked open an eye, my senses not fully awake yet, and was greeted by the face of a friendly, excited, wolf pup.

Upon seeing my eyes open, the wolf began to wag her tail enthusiastically and bent down on her front paws, pushing her nose against my chin and nuzzling herself next to me while whimpering softly.

I grinned and allowed the wolf to cuddle with me, brushing my hand through her silver fur, "Hello, Tala. What are you doing out here all by your lonesome, hm?"

The pup barked happily and squirmed under my hold, freeing herself and rolling onto her back in the dirt. I was forced to sit up when she held her paws in the air, begging for a belly rub. What a spoiled pup, indeed.

"She's not by her lonesome."

My head snapped up and I saw Slightly standing by the bushes, his bow slung over his shoulder and his hat at on odd angle. Tala was overjoyed and looked greedily between Slightly and I, pouncing from one side to the other and yipping with glee.

Slightly looked at me the way a pirate looks at a newly discovered chest of gold, like he was proud that he found something he had been searching for. His cheeks were smudged in an unusual amount of dirt and his arms were scraped in a few places, but nothing outshone the ear to ear grin on his face. He walked over and sat down beside me, dropping his bow at his feet and shaking his head.

"Where have you been, Ophelia?" Slightly asked, gripping my shoulders and shaking me, "I was worried out of my mind!"
I was touched by his affection and put a hand tenderly under his chin, "I got a little lost, that's all."
"So you've been wandering around the jungle for the entire night?"
I shrugged, a chuckle escaping my lips, "I'm bad with directions."
Slightly held me at arms length, "Well are you alright? Are you hurt? Hungry? Cold?"

Now that Slightly mentioned it, I actually felt... fantastic. My arm didn't bother me any more, the headache and dizziness was gone, my weary eyes had been rested, and I felt a new strength coursing through my veins.

"I'm fine, Slightly. But you on the other hand," I turned his face to one side and winced at the small purple bruise on his temple, "Look awful. What happened?"
He rubbed a hand across his eyes and his upper lip curled, "I had a bit of an altercation with the pirates a little while ago."
I nearly choked with surprise and had to cover my reaction with a mild coughing fit, "The pirates?"
"None other than Arthur Jasper Hook himself. I was just searching the jungle, looking for you with Tala, when out of nowhere they snatched me up and held me before that second-hand codfish."

I trailed my fingers along the bruise and furrowed my brow with worry, "He did this to you?"
"Well, not him personally, but his crew did. And what's the difference anyway? That whole lot is as bad as him." He shrugged my hand away, anger overtaking his normally boyishly adorable features.
I shook my head, not understanding, "Why did they do that?"
Slightly scoffed, "Because they're ruthless adults who don't have a brain in their hollow skulls?"
"No, besides that." I said, not bothering to argue, since he was right, "Did the Captain say anything?"