Chapter 2

Mom was upset that I didn't tell her dad was coming because she wasn't prepared. Days before dad came over, mom would stress about it because dad almost always started trouble in our home. Mom would spend as much time with God as she could so she wouldn't get angry, or too stressed out.
When Lauren, the youngest Robbins child, saw dad, she ran into his arms the same way Josh did. Joshua and Lauren were the youngest, so they needed a dad more than Art and I did. Well, actually, at this time, Art needed a dad more than all of us.
Half an hour later, Art came out of his room and went in the kitchen, with me following after him.
"How are you feeling?" I asked, feeling sorry for Art.
"All I'm saying is I would feel a whole lot better if dad didn't come. Speaking of, why did dad come?" replied Art.
"I asked him if he was going to come. I guess that made him think I wanted him to, so he did." I said.
"Do me a favor, never say anything like that to dad again." after saying that, Art went back to his room. I felt guilty. It was like I was stuck in a world where everything went wrong no matter what you did or say. I didn't know what to do now, but I wasn't giving up. I had to get Art back to normal no matter what it took.
"Jenny, how is your brother doing? I haven't seen him come out of his room since the argument he had with your father." said mom, hours after I talked to Art last.
"Not good, obviously." I replied.
"Please, Jennifer, let me know if your dad is coming over next time. I'd like to be prepared." said mom.
"I will." I said. Mom started walking away but I stopped her.
"Hey, mom, can I get your advice on something?" I asked her.
"Sure, sweetheart. What do you need?" she replied.
"It's Art. He's going through depression. He made me promise not to tell you. He completely gave up on his walk with God, and I want to encourage him to trust in whatever Jesus has planned for his life, but I don't know where to start. I don't know what to say. I need your advice on what to say, what to do, and what to expect." I said.
"What you say is between you and God. Pray about it, and wait for God's answer. Listen with your heart, not with your ears." mom replied and walked away. Mom gave me the advice I needed. I can't believe I didn't think about praying. It's a good thing I asked mom for advice, or I wouldn't have gotten anywhere.