Chapter 9

When I got home from school, I went to my room and threw everything I was holding on my bed and went downstairs to see if Art was home yet. Unfortunately, he wasn't.
"Hey, sweetheart," mom said as I walked in the kitchen, "how was school?"
"It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Art showed up." I replied.
"Oh?" Mom said, smirking. She must have known Art was going to be there. I told her everything anyways.
"You knew, didn't you? You knew he was going to come to my school and do that, but you didn't tell me?" I followed mom into the living room. She was cleaning the room up, which usually meant we were going to have a family meeting.
When the others got home, I discovered I was right about the family meeting.
"Art has an announcement to make," mom said, glancing at me, "Art, go ahead."
"Yesterday, when mom and I went out, we went to Church to meet with Pastor Wells. Mom waited in the car while I prayed with the Pastor. I got saved." Art said, with an embarrassed grin on his face.
"Art, that's- actually, there isn't a word to describe what that is. I'm happy." I said and hugged Art along with the others.
Later, when Art was about to walk into his room, I stopped him.
"Art, can we talk?" I said. Art stared at me for a minute.
"Sure." he replied as he followed me into my room.
"Why did you become a Christian? Was it for me, or was it your own choice?" I questioned.
"It was for me. I watched how you acted. I watched how you were made fun of because you loved Jesus, yet you still kept faith. You still didn't stop living right, even though you were laughed at for your beliefs. I decided that if you love someone that much, and that person loves you back, then He must be real. I mean, come on, there are over five billion people on Earth. Why would over half of those people believe in someone who wasn't real? I watched you, Jenny. I watched how you looked at the little things, and told me they were gifts from God. I watched how you thanked God - every day - just because you woke up. If you're still so young and you believe in someone and you have faith in someone you can't even see, then I'm just a big idiot for doubting how big our God is, and how much our God can do. I'm honestly sorry for how I've always treated you, and everyone else. I want to call dad, and I want him to forgive me for hating him, for everything, really. I want to lead dad to Christ, like you lead me to Christ. I want to know if you'll help me." Art replied. I was astonished at his answer to my simple question. I couldn't hold back the tears, I had to get them out.
"Why are you crying? I thought you wanted me to become a Christian." Art said, handing me a tissue.
"I'm crying because I'm happy. I thought this day would never come. Do you know how long I've prayed for this? I've prayed for this day every since you stopped believing in God. This is the happiest day of my life- other than the day I got saved." I replied. I hugged Art. He rolled his eyes and walked out of my room. I shut the door and got down on my knees.

"Lord, thank You, so, so, so much! I knew You could do the impossible, I knew You could save Art! I believe in You! Thank You for showing me that it just takes a little bit of faith, patience, and time, and You will give me the desires of my heart. I love You!"

After praying, I grabbed my laptop and checked my email. I had an email from Laura. It read:

"Jennifer,
I'm so sorry. I laughed at you and made fun of you, and I shouldn't have done that just because everyone else was. A true friend helps someone in need of encouragement - or anything -, a true friend doesn't laugh at someone and make fun of them. I was definitely not being a true friend to you, and for what I did, I am truly sorry. I have repented for making fun of you, and for being ashamed of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The Bible says, "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..." and, "Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted..." and I was neither of those things. I was ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, and I was definitely not being kind. Now that the Lord has forgiven me, I'm asking you to forgive me. Email me back as soon as you can. I'd like to be friends, if you're still willing to be my best friend, that would be way better. Again, I'm very sorry.
Love, Laura."

I wrote back, but it was short.

"Laura,
I forgave you before you asked for the forgiveness. Of course I will still be your best friend and give you another chance. I have to admit, I had a good cry about what happened, but I still forgive you, and I feel better now. Thanks for apologizing. That was a kind thing for you to do, even though other kids might laugh at you for seeing you with me. (:
Love, Jenny."

I knew things would never be the same with Laura, but I was willing to try to get things back to normal if she was.