Down to Earth

Amy's P.O.V.

With both my arms clamped around Daken's ankle he tried desperately to counterbalance. I couldn't move, my brain wasn't done making sense of what just happened yet. Daken was also silent, concentrating on evading the reach of the many tree branches that we were almost crashing in to. As we drifted, silence drifted with us; there was barely a noise in the forest.

"That's odd" I muttered, I felt some kind of deja vu looking around and a couple of images flashed through my mind. I couldn't make out what they were...

"What did you say?" He questioned sounding concerned.

"Never mind" I dismissed it. Bruce had explained that, fairly obviously I wasn't born with a 'glitch' it must have happened to me in childhood but I can't remember anything that could cause it at all.

"You look worried... something's wrong. Please don't lie to me" he said accusingly.

I felt a sharp scratch of pain; we nearly collided with the top of a particularly tall tree and a branch dragged across my right ankle. As we passed it tore through the fabric of my leggings, digging in to my flesh.

Wincing, I looked down for the first time in a while to see how badly it was bleeding and regretted it, looking up again hastily. The cut itself was nothing serious, only a little blood, but the height suddenly felt dizzying; threatening to bring my darker self to the surface if I lost concentration. The air felt still; the wind was gone and starting to slow down quickly, we soon realised there wasn't anywhere to land. This went on for a few seconds with me in silent panic before Daken finally shouted:

"I'm afraid we are about to get very wet, can you swim?!"

"What?" I replied confused.

"The lake!" He shouted as we cut more of the tree canopy, branches scratching at our faces and my legs and tearing a couple of gaping holes in the fabric of Daken's 'wings', not to mention a few more in my leggings and skin

I struggled to hold on to Daken as we were fighting to stay in the air long enough to drop in to the water. I could see us nearing the edge of the cliff. If we could just get past that we'd be clear of the land and the water would break our fall somewhat.

My feet were only a few meters above the ground! At that moment I lost my grip and tumbled almost immediately on to rocky ground. After the initial, very painful impact, which caused me to roll a couple of times before I could stop, my body's natural instinct of self preservation kicked in and I gripped the rock, hanging precariously over the edge. On hearing Daken fall in to the water I knew I should let go... but I couldn't. I looked down and let out a squeal, terrified and also because there was a great pain in both my arms from trying not to let go.

_____________________________________________________________

Norman's p.o.v.

Before now I hadn't ever felt a scrap of empathy for Loki but helping us escape and now this changed that slightly... and he sounded like he needed serious medical help. Using Astrid's rope to climb down the tree one branch at a time was incredibly slow for a number of reasons. One of which being that Astrid said nothing and had a vacant expression, apart from the occasional tear rolling down her cheek. Blankly staring straight ahead I felt sorry for her too.

"Thanks for saving my ass..." I mumbled.

She just turned to look at me with reddened eyes from the crying. This made me feel like I needed to comfort her but I had no idea how... I was always bad at empathy and providing moral support when it mattered most.

"It's okay Astrid" was the best I could come up with, "It's not your fault and he'll be fine."

At first she said nothing and then in a raw and shaky voice she replied; "You don't know that..."