Chapter 2

EVELYN'S POV

Sleep never came that night. The letter was facing me on my nightstand, and I was facing it. I still didn't understand anything written in the letter, and I had no idea who sent it. I mentally debated wether to ask my grams about it or not, but I still couldn't decide. I couldn't wrap my head around anything going on around me. I got up extra early the next morning. I needed caffeine. My grams never told me how my parents died, she just said she was sworn to secrecy. I never thought to ask her in all these years. Sipping through my coffee, I sat in utter silence, lost in my thoughts. As I got ready for work, I realised I still hadn't seen my grams anywhere around the house since last morning. I walked to her room and knocked a couple of times. When I got no answer, I opened the door slowly, peeking my head through. I saw my grams still laying on the bed, asleep. That was odd; my grams never slept so late, so I walked inside, to her side, where I shaked her a little.

"Grams?" I shaked her again. No response. In panic, I slowly turned her fragile body around. Immediatley, I noticed chunks of blood leaking from her slit throat as my grams lay dead right in front of me. Tears sprinted out of my eyes faster than the speed of light and I sobbed hard. The only family I had, lay dead right in front of me. Dead. My grams was dead. I let the litres of water pour out of me like rain. I held my grams in my arms embracing what was left of her. She was innocent. She never did anything. She was the best person I knew. She was my guardian, my mother. She was everything to me. Yet here she lay, breathless, lifeless, souless. Anger fumed through me as I thought of the fucking bastards who killed her and why they did it. I started throwing everything in front of me. I smashed the lamp on her table when I suddenly noticed a small white piece of paper folded on it. Picking it up, I read it:

This is just a reminder of what happens if you don't follow our orders. Tell anyone about this and someone you care about dies next. RIP to your grams. See you soon.

Love, BFF.

I tore the paper to shreds immediatley, collapsing to the ground, my back agains the bed. I brought my feet up and poured my heart out, crying for what seemed like ages. Those bastards would pay. I will make sure of it. She had nothing to do with it. They wanted me to pay, not her. They took away the life of an innocent woman. They were murderers, and they were dangerous.

After the while, I picked up my grams' corpse, carrying her to the bathroom, where I cleaned her up. Before I knew it, I started hearing voices from beside me and a hand shaking my body. I faced the person to find James shaking me, terrified as he looked down at my grams.

"Evelyn, what the hell happened? Are you ok? Is your grams...?" his concern voice spoke. Dropping everything, I hugged him tight, letting the tears fall back again. He held me and ran his hand through my hair, calming me down and saying soothing words in my ear. After we parted, I remembered the threat in the letter, I couldn't tell him what happened. He could be next, and I couldn't put him in danger. "Evelyn, what happened?" he asked. I wiped the remaininig tears on my cheek and thought of something.

"I-I d-don't k-know. I walked inside and found her like that. She's dead. My grams is dead." I broke down into tears once again as he held me for a nice while.

*****

After we burried her in the backyard. I walked back home, James right by my side. We let Alpha Thompson know through the mind-link, but he was still with Alpha Jackson, so he couldn't make it. James left soon after I forced him to and I instantly ran out into the woods, shifting into my light brown wolf. I ran and ran, letting all my rage out until I reached the border. I ran back when I shifted into my human form and wore my clothes to cover my naked body.

After what seemed like hours of siting on a tree, a strong scent hit my nose. The most astounding scent I had ever smelt in my entire life was waffed in the air. I got up, following the scent around the trees. A rush of positive energy radiated within me as I thought of the possible outcomes of the next few minutes. I was about to find my mate, and maybe, just maybe, he would be willing to take the risk to protect me from the threat.

Soon, I came face to face with the most amazing face I had ever seen in my entire life. He was a tall man, with black hair and vibrant green eyes. He had a musculated body that was perfectly accentuated by the white v-neck that was hugging him. His piercing eyes stared into mine for a split second, and Catherine started to scream inside 'Mate! Mate! Mate!' on the inside, jumping with excitement. My mate stood right in front of me, looking at me with adoration, but in the next moment, everything changed. His expressions hardened as we walked right up to me. I felt tingles shoot up through my back, as his scent came closer to me. My wolf howled in happpiness and for a moment I forgot everything that happened in the morning. Just as I went to open my mouth, he cut me off.

"What's your name?" his husky, deep and sexy voice sounded angry and I couldn't help but wonder why. Did I do something wrong? I just met him. I wonder who he is? I have never seen him in my life before.

"Evelyn Jones." I responded, still looking at his bright green eyes. When a wave of silence hit us, I thought it was my queue to ask him his name. "What's yo-" in the blink of an eye, I was cut off and pinned against the bark of a tree. Tingles shot up my body as his skin connected with mine, leaving me craving for more. The bond was strong, and I could feel it.

"Listen carefully cupcake, I'm not taking any of this mate crap, so let's just get this over with. I, Carter Jackson, Alpha of the Dark Shadows pack reject you, Evelyn Jones as my mate and Luna." my heart shattered to pieces as the words escaped his mouth. He was Carter Jackson, Alpha of the Dark Shadows pack. America's most feared Alpha, my mate. The mate that just rejected me. I didn't bother hiding my pain and let another set of tears run through my eyes. He looked as hurt as I was, but in an instant, he was gone. Long gone. I slided down the bark of the tree and burried my head in my hugged knees. Why would he do that? He doesn't even know me. What was I thinking? He was the biggest womanizer on the face of the earth, obviousley he didn't want such an ugly mate like me.

Yesturday, I recieved a threat from an unknown source. Today, my grandmother died, and my mate rejected me. If I didn't follow my threats instructions, others would end up getting hurt, or worse, dead. And I'm not going to let that happen. There was no escaping this, and I have to get through it alone.

CARTER'S POV

I could smell her scent from the time I left the pack house and stepped into the woods. Her toffee- brown eyes, looked red, clearly she had been crying and it made me angry seeing her like that. My wolf, Mason, was howling of excitement and happiness. She was beautiful. The most gorgeous person I had ever seen in my life. She had blonde hair, green eyes and a perfect figure. She had perfect pink lips that I immediatley craved to kiss. Even her name was perfect. Evelyn. But I couldn't, I couldn't just have a mate. Mate's make you weak, and I cannot be weak. Especially not now. Especially not when we are about to go to war with another pack. I looked her in the eye and said the words I knew would break her and myself as my wolf pushed for me to stop. But it was for the best.

"Listen carefully cupcake, I'm not taking any of this mate crap, so let's just get this over with. I, Carter Jackson reject you, Evelyn Jones as my mate." As soon as I said it, I regreted saying the harsh words. I saw tears well up in her eyes. She was hurt, very hurt. I could feel her pain, but I couldn't let myself feel this way, weak and... powerless. I ran out of there before I could take watching her like that and I would take my words back. I looked back one last time where I saw her on the ground, crying her heart out. It broke me watching her like that. But I had to do it. I would never be able to love her. I'm the most feared Alpha and having a mate only weakens my authorities. I ran ahead of me, deep into the woods. I would never see my mate again, and it was for the best.

A/N

There goes the second chapter! Chapter thoughts? Future predictions? Comment below and tell me what you think!! Also, a very Happy New Year to all of you! I hope you all have a wonderful year!!

Picture of Carter to the side--->

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE

-Neha