Chapter 9

Evelyn's POV

I stretched my arms above my head, feeling heat strike my face as I did so. As my eyes opened slowly, I noticed the faint ray of sunlight penetrating the windows, smeared across my face. I smiled at the warmth the sun emanated and lifted myself into a seating position, looking at the clock on my bedside table which read 11:23.

I climbed out of bed, making my way slowly towards the en suite bathroom, taking a short but warm shower and getting dressed.

Walking slowly into the kitchen, I noticed Carter stood by the kitchen counter, his back facing me and his fists clenched on the table. His back muscles were rippled as he flexed them. I ignored my wolf's nasty desires and walked to the other side, pouring myself some coffee and doing my best to ignore the man in front of me who just so happened to be my mate, that rejected me. His eyes slowly met mine after he acknowledged my presence and instantly his muscles relaxed. His words kept replaying in my mind the entire night, yet somehow I managed to convince myself not to believe in them, even though deep down, I did. Stupid mate bond.

I wasn't willing to ignore the fact that he had rejected me for no apparent reason, shattering my heart into a million pieces and allow him to take it back that easily. If the fates really wanted him to be my mate, then he was going to have to work for it. I had appreciated the fact that he had come to save me, but it wasn't enough to mend my broken heart and put it back together.

For the longest time he looked me in the eyes, before I disconnected my gaze from his, noticing the white piece of paper in his hand, as he noticed this, his figure tensed once again and he whipped back around, attempting at hiding the letter from me. His actions made my blood boil. I hated secrets.

"Morning" he awkwardly replied, I nodded in return, letting my figure relax.

"Morning" I replied casually.

I decided to let it go for the moment, and go visit my brother. I had yet to discover the situation between him and his mate, and I was eager to know. I didn't want my brother to go through the rejection that I had been through. And I hoped that he didn't.

I walked out of the kitchen, headed towards my brother's room. Something in the air had changed, and I noticed the mixed scents I was getting from the inside of the room. My eyes widened at the realisation of the news.

My brother had already mated with his mate. Well that was fast. I somewhat felt a pang of jealousy and just the mere thought of my rejection made my heart ache all over again. I decided to give my brother time with his new found mate and go check on my two best friends.

Unlike my brother, their scents had remained the same, which meant they had not mated yet. I knocked on the door, and almost instantly, I was pulled inside the room and the door was closed after me.

"So what happened? Did you mate? Why hasn't your scent changed? Where is your mark?" Ashley bombarded me. James came up from behind her, maintaining a hand on her shoulder to calm her down. My brows furrowed as I processed her words.

"Must I remind you that my brother was the one who found his mate apart from you two last night? Not me. I already have a mate, who rejected me." Bitterness was evident in my voice.

"But he wants you back! He apologized; I mean he came all the way here to save you! How romantic, he clearly loves you" I scoffed, moving away slightly.

"That doesn't erase the fact that he rejected me Ashley. Forgiveness isn't going to come to him that easy. If he really wants me back and really does feel for me, he will earn his forgiveness. For now he means nothing to me." I said emotionlessly, walking straight out. I didn't mean to snap at her, but the plain reminder of my life was enough to make me snap, frustration rising within me. My entire life had been a lie; there was no normal for me anymore. I was well aware that I was still in danger, and that Logan's pack was not going to stop looking for me. Ignoring those thoughts, I walked towards my room.