Chapter Seventeen - Mother's Day

A/N: sadly, this story is coming to a close. Thank you all for reading and for your sweet comments! There will DEFINITELY be another Ed fanfic in the near future. Just remember I love you all and stay safe. Xxx

~~~~~~

*Paige's Point Of View*

Mother's Day was coming up, and I knew it would be a bad day for me to go to work, and I guess Mary thought the same, so she gave me off. I didn't bring it up with Ed, though.

Ed and I were sitting on the couch, watching TV a few nights before the dreaded day was to arrive. I was dozing off, my head against his chest, his head on my own. Ed's hand lay on my knee as he lazily drew invisible circles with his index finger. He whispered something in my ear, but I didn't catch it.

"What was that?" I murmured. My eyelashes fluttered against Ed's cheek, and chuckled and kissed me softly.

"Doesn't matter," He shook his head, smiling to himself.

"You can tell me," I was suddenly more awake as I sat up, looking at Ed.

He brushed my neck with his nose, nuzzling. "It's just," he sighed. "I don't want to make you sad, love."

"I'll be okay," I assured him. What could he want to tell me that I didn't already know?

"Mother's Day is this Sunday," Ed wrapped his arms around me.

"Would that make me sad because of my mother or my miscarriage?" I said icily.

"Hey," He said, frowning. "Don't be like that."

"Like what?" I moved away from him.

"Like that!" He exclaimed, his hands slapping to his thighs after gesturing to my sudden shift.

"I'm done with this conversation," I began to stand up from the couch, but Ed pulled me back.

"I didn't mean to upset you," He was standing behind me now, hands on my hips, whispering in my ear.

"Then why'd you bring it up?" I growled, pushing him off me.

He shrugged, looking down at his feet. "I was going to ask what you wanted to do."

"On Mother's Day?" I clarified.

"Yes, on Mother's Day," He took a step towards me, and I backed up. He lowered his voice, as though this was sensitive material. "Thought maybe you'd like to go see your mum."

"No," I backed up against the wall. "No. We are not going to see my dead mother." I was raging at that point, adrenaline pumping through me, anger burning low in my stomach. How dare he bring her up?

"Okay," Ed was calm, cool, and collected, while I was fuming in the corner.

"I'm going to bed," I growled. "Do what you please."

~~~~~~

*Ed's Point Of View*

I decided to let her have her space until she calmed down, which probably wouldn't be anytime tonight. Her bedroom door was slammed tight, so I slipped off my socks, and lay down on the couch. Navy curled up next to me, and I sighed, petting her orange fur.

The only reason I brought it up was because it was better for her to have gotten out whatever she needed to now rather than on Mother's Day. Better to have taken it out on me than someone else, I mean. I could take it, but other people, not so much.

And, I was going to ask her if she wanted to go to my parent's house on Sunday. But I guess that could wait until tomorrow.

I fell asleep at some point, because I woke up to Paige standing over me. Her shaking shoulders were wrapped in a blanket. It was still dark, so I couldn't have been asleep for long. I sat up, rubbing my eyes and mumbling, "Paige?"