Chapter Two - Jumpers

Ed stayed over that night, to make sure I was alright, he said. The next day, he had work once again, and we agreed to meet at the bar next weekend. I got a call from one of the hospitals I applied to, and they said they'd like to meet with me. So, this morning, two days after I applied, I got ready and took my newly fixed car over there. I walked in, and the Director of Nursing took me to her office. She asked me various questions, about where I went to school, where I was from, where I've previously worked, etc. I think it went well, actually, and I decided that I liked her. Her name was Mary.

After I left, and went back to my appartment, I sat on the couch, petting my cat, thinking about my possible new job, and Ed. Ed was a very sweet guy, and I liked him a lot.

When I phone vibrated next to me, I smiled and said to myself, "Speak of the devil."

It was a text.

Ed: thinking of you:) xx.

I quickly typed a reply, and pressed send.

Me: You're so sweet:)

Suddenly, I felt like I was back in high school again, before my mom got sick, before my dad disowned me. I had butterflies, my palms were sweaty, and I had goosebumps. I felt the way I had when I'd first started dating Scott. Before him, I'd never been in a relationship, never been kissed, never been touched, nothing. My parents never thought anything would happen, but that was before I got pregnant. My dad kicked me out, and I had to live with my then best friend for months until I graduated. I got an abortion somewhere in there, and I tried to move back home, but I was turned away. Not by my dad, but by my sister. My own sister. So, I took out some loans, and went to nursing school.

I quickly shook the memories from my mind as my phone went off again.

Ed: Love, I just wanted you to know that you're beautiful and I can't wait to see you again:)

My heart skipped a beat.

Me: Well, then, how about dinner friday? x

I was feeling especially bold today.

Ed: Sounds great, let me know the details tomorrow:)

I put my phone down and sighed happily.

~~~~

Friday finally came, and so did dinner that night. We laughed, and talked, and smiled, and held hands, and played footsie beneath the table. I wasn't feeling that great, so I didn't drink.

"So, you said you're a nurse?" He asked, taking a small sip of his beer.

"Yeah, but I got laid off, so I'm currently looking," I shrugged.

"What kind of nurse were you?" Ed twisted his lips up into a good hearted, curious smirk.

"I helped deliver babies," I grinned.

He looked impressed. "Really? That's interesting."

"Yeah, I guess," I smiled. "What'd you say you do?" I put my hand over his.

"I, uh, I sing a little, and I write songs," He shrugged.

"Really? You'll have to play something for me sometime," I joked.

"How about now?" He gestured to our empty plates. He threw some money on the table and took my hand. He lead me to his car and opened the door for me.

"Thank you," I giggled.

"You're very welcome,"

~~~

"Tell her that I love her, tell her that I need her, tell her that she's more than a one night stand,"