Chapter 2

"Larkwhistle, our kits are only two moons old!" I hear Owlwatcher meow

"They won't mind!" My mom replies

"Larkwhistle, please."

"Sparrowkit! Poolkit!" I hear and I fully wake up while trying not to wake up Pollenkit. I pad outside and see my dad standing in the middle of the clearing.

"What?" I mew, trying not to sound annoyed like Poolkit

"StarClan save me!" Poolkit yowls "It's so early! What do you want?"

"Calm down, please, Poolkit. And I would like to ask if I can go on a hunting patrol. I'd like to stretch my legs." Larkwhistle asks with a smile

"Whatever mom." Poolkit mews and runs towards the nursery

"I don't know mom." I mew "Just be careful, okay? I love you."

"Thanks Sparrowkit!" Larkwhistle smiles then looks at Owlwatcher

"Fine. Gooseflight!" Owlwatcher meows "Take Larkwhistle on your patrol." Gooseflight nods and within a few heartbeats, my mom is gone. I pad back to the nursery and cuddle up next to Pollenkit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sparrowkit!" Some cat mews "Wake up!" I open my eyes and I know immediately know who it is

"Good sun-up, Pollenkit!" I mew, trying to hold back laughter

"You've turned into and old wise cat!" She mews, rolling over with laughter.

"Mighty fine day, I'd say so!" I laugh

"Stop it silly!" Pollenkit mews while laughing uncontrollably

"Okay, what do you want to do?" I ask after I stop laughing

"Let's play hide-and-go-seek! I'll count over there!" She mews with a smile. I nod and scamper off to the clearing to find a hiding spot. I hear Pollenkit quietly counting and I decide to hide behind the nursery. "I'm coming, Sparrowkit!" I hear small paw steps but they quiet after several heartbeats.

After a while I hear a sigh "Where are you Sparrowkit?" Pollenkit mews. I hop up from behind the nursery wall and pad over to Pollenkit.

"You're really good at this." She mews with a frown

"Hey! It's okay! It's just a silly game." I mew. Pollenkit smilies and stares towards Acornstar. She is smiling and sharing tounges with Clouddrop. "What's that about?"

"I don't know..." Pollenkit replies with a questioning look

"Why are they mates so suddenly?" I whisper

"I don't k--," Pollenkit gets cut off by a hiss in our ears

"Get out of our way! We are bigger and we're going to play here. Okay, runts?" Poolkit hisses. Pollenkit and I both nod our heads with the same scared look. Goldenkit looks back with a sparkle of sadness in her eyes. Is Poolkit forcing her to be mean? I wonder as Pollenkit and I pad over to the nursery to play.

~~~TIME SKIP~~~

All of the leaves on the ground have a silver lining. The frost has frozen everything. I shudder and walk outside to the fresh-kill pile. A mouse, thrush, and a sparrow are carefully placed on the ground. Considering that it is probably bad luck to eat what you're named after, I grab the thrush. I pad over towards the entrance of the nursery and quietly eat my prey. The sounds of winter fill my ears and the cold weather sends a chill down my spine.

"Hey." Meows a voice from the nursery

"Hey! I meows to the pretty cream she-cat " Only one more moon until you're going to be an apprentice!"

"Haha. I guess so. I completly forgot." Pollenkit meows "But then I won't be able to spend all day with you."

"I'll manage." I meow with a sly smile "Wanna play I-spy?"

"Sure. I spy something green." She replies

"Um... The grass?" I ask. She shakes her head. Leaves? Another shake. I eye Willowbranch, the oldest elder in the clan. "Willowbranch's eyes?"

"Nope!" She meows with giggle

"Oh goodness... My eyes?" I ask with a smile. Pollenkit nods her head yes and we play back and forth all sun-up until the sun reaches its highest point in the sky. Pollenkit rubs her tongue down my neck.

"Want to share tongues?" She ask lovingly. I smile and instead of replying I lick her golden specked fur. "Hold on." Pollenkit interrupts. She coughs twice and goes back to grooming my fur.

"Pollenkit! Are you catching whitecough?" I ask sitting up

"No I just," She pauses to cough again "I just have something in my throat."

"Okay." I meow, trying to sound unconvinced so she confesses but she just keeps licking my fur. I shrug and do the same until Poolkit tells us to get out of the way.

Thanks so much for reading and I can't wait to update Acornstar's nine lives!! By the way Pollenkit and her littermates are five moons old. Sparrowkit and Poolkit are four. Please check out my other books and have a great day! Byee!
~Swift