Chapter 5

I grab the juiciest prey from the pile, which ends up being a squirrel and start walking back to the medicine den.

"Where's my prey?!" A voice meows teasingly

"It's never going to get there if you keep rushing me!" I taunt back. Before I know it a cream shape bursts out of the smelly den and shoves me over. "Hey!" I mew with a grin once I am able to get my face out of Pollenkit's soft fur.

"Excuse me, you two!" Owlwatcher meows, passing the two kits and plopping down next to Ambershine.

"Let's play hide-and-go-seek!" Pollenkit exclaims and immediately runs over to the spot where we count. I squeal and run behind the warrior den, tiptoeing very carefully. I forget about the game when I hear two cats talking.

"Oh I don't know..." A, I'm pretty sure, tom whispers

"No kits. I promise." The she-cat whispers. Are they trying to become mates? Willowbranch told me that Gooseflight likes Alderspark.

"Isn't it too soon? Every cat will get suspicious." He meows back

"We'll keep it secret for a while." She changes her tone to pleading "Come on," I tune out when I hear quiet paw steps. I swing my head around and before Pollenkit can tell me she won I shush her. She sends me a questioning look but shrugs and sits next to me.

"Ambershine. Please." The tom meows, seeming to loose his patience. Ambershine? Who does she like?

"It'll be fine. No kits and Sparrowkit will never know until we tell him." The she cat whispers, with an urgent tone. Me? Who is this tom? Why do they care so much about me? Oh no... "Please, Owlwatcher." No! "Just think about it." My father? Is he going to be mates again? With Ambershine?!

"Okay," Owlwatcher meows, giving in. I bare my teeth towards my father from behind the bracken wall and stomp back to the medicine cat den. When Pollenkit finally arrives she looks at me, her eyes full of sympathy.

"Sparrowkit. Don't be mad." She whispers. I just growl and lay down. Pollenkit sighs and lays down next to me but we both spring up at the sound of pawsteps.

"Sparrowkit," Rosethorn meows "Whatever you were grumping about, stop. You should be excited! Tomorrow is your special day!" I gasp and jolt up.

"Is it really? Already!?" I mew, running in circles to release my energy

"Yay!" Pollenkit mews and joins me

"Oh, I wish I never had said that." Rosethorn chuckles "Okay, you two. Off to bed."

"Awwww," Pollenkit and I mew in unison. Rosethorn gives us a stern look and we pad over to our nest. Pollenkit drifts into sleep with ease but I'm simply too excited. Once Rosethorn goes to sleep I start to sneak out of the den but I hear voices.

"Not now Ambershine." Owlwatcher whispers "The dusk patrol will be back any second."

"So what? Cats can share tongues and not be mates." Ambershine whispers back. My father just sighs and he hesitantly shares tongues. All I can think is "why?". A couple tears fall down my face and sink into the soft soil below. I look up at the sky and finding a bright star, hoping its her. I mouth the words "I'm sorry mom. I'll always love you." I slowly slink back into the herb-smelling den and carefully maneuver myself back into the nest without waking Pollenkit.