Chapter 4

"Will all cats of TreeClan please gather below the Tall Stump for a clan meeting." Acornstar meows. I glance at Pollenkit and frown. I don't want to leave her alone but... This meeting is about my f-family. I think and finally step outside. All cats gather below and Acornstar speaks again. "Yesterday a fellow clanmate went to StarClan. Larkwhistle was a wonderful friend, mate and queen. Sadly her life ended because of Greencough." The cats in the crowd bow their head and whisper goodbye. I quickly do the same. "Larkwhistle's family is to protect her grave at sun-down.

[Two things that happen in the clans when a cat dies is the leader gives a little speech about that cat and the family members sit next to that cat's grave during the night.]

~~~

"Sparrowkit?" My father meows from the clearing "It's... It's time to go." Owlwatcher meows with grief from the entrance of the den. I smile goodbye to Pollenkit and follow family towards the exit of the camp.

"Wait!" I whisper violently to my father "We're not allowed outside of the camp!" Poolkit rolls her eyes and keeps on walking.

"This usually doesn't happen but you're allowed right now. And the burial place isn't far from the back of the camp. " Owlwatcher replies and I follow my dad out of the camp. Torn up leaves crunch underneath our paws as we near a little dirt pile. "This is where your wonderful mother is buried." He meows with tears streaming down his face. After only a few moments Poolkit sighs.

"Can I go yet?" She meows glancing back at the camp

"Absolutely not!" Our dad yowls, rage sparking in his eyes "Have you forgotten that your mother died? Died! The cat that birthed you, that brought you into this world, is gone! She's never coming back!" Poolkit fluffs up and hisses.

"I'm not coming back either!" She yowls and runs back to camp, muttering something. I tear up and glance at Owlwatcher; he's crying. After a few moments he sits up.

"Son?" Owlwatcher meows, breaking the silence that is eating away my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I whisper back, my voice not able to meow

"Being here shows me that I can be gone so soon. There is a tradition you need to know of." I nod and he continues "What is similar between our names?"

"Uh..." I think out loud "Owlwatcher... Sparr--. I know! We both have a bird name!"

"Right son. Now my father's name was," Owlwatcher sighs "was Ravenclaw. Bird name again." I nod again to show I'm listening "And my father's father was Hawkswipe and the tradition continues all the way up to the ancient Birdstar. His dying wish was for all toms in the family to be named after a bird."

"And that's where you got my name." I meow. He nods with a smile then pulls me closer and we cuddle all night until Acornstar wakes us up.