17

It was yet another night spent alone, rewatching old cartoons and attempting to complete my math homework without copying the answers from someone else. My half-eaten bowl of cereal sat abandoned on our scratched coffee table, only accompanied by a glass of water that I had daringly placed down without a coaster. This was honestly the full extent of my home alone lifestyle: eating, homework, and television.

My phone rang from the other couch and I immediately groaned in response, knowing well that it was my mother calling to say she's on her way home and that I should pick up the house. However, as I muted the TV and checked the screen, I was delighted to see that Luke was trying to FaceTime me instead.

I accepted the call and patiently waited to see his cheerful eyes and bright smile, but instead I was greeted by a different set of faces.

"Calum, if you hold the phone like that we're going to be upside down!"

"Shut up Ashton, I'll hold the phone the way I want to."

"Could both of you quit being idiots and just hand me the - oh my God, she answered!"

I couldn't help but laugh as the three boys rushed get situated in front of the small camera and compose themselves. Calum ended up in the middle with Ashton on his left and Michael to his right. They playfully shoved one another, muttering banter that I couldn't quite hear. "Hi guys."

"Hello," Ashton replied, waving happily.

Michael pointed a finger at me, to which I raised an eyebrow. "What's your name again?"

"Ruby."

"I fucking told you Cal, her name is Ruby, not Ruth!"

I blinked in confusion, nervously running my fingers through the strands of hair that had escaped my bun. "Can't you just check my contact?" I asked, trying to speak over Michael and Calum's fighting.

Ashton sighed and took possession of the phone while the others wrestled in the background. "No, we can't," he laughs, "because your contact name is still 'Princess'."

"Oh."

Michael sat up abruptly, now watching me as I stood up to take my bowl of cereal to the kitchen sink. "Are you guys, like, internet dating or something?" he asked, and everyone else fell silent.

I rolled my eyes, unable to conceal the amused glint that danced in them. "Is this why you called?"

"Yep," they chorused.

I gently set the bowl down after pouring the leftover milk down the drain, then returned my attention to the guys on my phone. They were still whispering amongst themselves, nothing audible enough for me to hear. I swallowed. "No, we're not dating. We don't want a long distant relationship like that."

"But you like each other?"

"For fuck's sake, Cal, of course they like each other. We read their messages!"

A blush quickly traveled up my neck and boldly colored my cheeks pink. "How do you guys even have his phone?"

Calum spoke up first, punching Michael's arm so he wouldn't answer. "He went to meet up with someone and left his phone. We just decided to take it. What idiot forgets a phone when going to meet up with someone else? Stupid."

"Well if that's all that you needed, I should probably get going then. I've got work tomorrow morning and it's getting pretty late."

"Where do you work?" 

"Dunkin Donuts."

Ashton nodded. "Did Luke ever tell you the story about how I worked at KFC?"

The other boys groaned in unison, resuming their fighting but now including Ashton. It felt odd to witness three guys arguing like this, barely paying me any mind when they're the ones who called me. Nonetheless, I waited patiently for them to finish. "Guys," I repeated, "I have to go."

"Bye!"

"Yeah, uh - ouch, Michael! Bye."

Ashton picked up the phone and began walking away from the others. "Hey Ruby?"

"Yeah?"

"Please don't hurt him. He loves you."

I smiled to myself. "I would never."

* * *

so uh i ranked????? thanks to all of you so much wtf i love you all

yeah so this wasn't the best but it's just the other boys' pov. plus i wanted some malum action. hope you enjoyed.

it's almost 6am here so i gotta blast bye

ew also i just reread this and im sorry its short and boring and dumb af