"They were smart and sophisticated, with an air of independence about them..."

-Collene Moore

"You did what?" Stanford yelled, face bright red.

Geez, and Dipper had thought Stanly was the scary one.

After the whole ordeal at Bartleby's, Dipper had carried his Grunkle out into the club where they were greeted by a very distraught, and very relieved, Mabel. Dipper told her everything that had happened on the cab ride home and the two had anxiously waited back at the apartment for the return of their Great Uncle Ford.

Because there was no way in hell they were going to get away without an explanation when Stanly was covered in bruises and half the items in the apartment had to be thrown away.

Needless to say, it was a nerve wracking couple of hours.

Still, Dipper would have taken the wait over what they got when their Great Uncle heard the news.

"Don't blame the kids, Ford. It's my fault." Stanly said from his position at the kitchen table, wincing as one of the cuts on his lip opened and began to bleed. A worried look flashed over Fords features before his face hardened once again.

"Oh, that it is. And I assure you, you and I will be having a long talk about that later." He stated, voice dripping with anger before turning to his grand niece and nephew and releasing a sigh.

"Look, kids, what on earth were you thinking going to that place alone? Why didn't you just call me at my office?" He asked, obviously trying his best to restrain his emotions. Dipper looked to his twin, who raised an eyebrow and shrugged, shaking her head.

It seemed this was all on him.

Fantastic.

"Grunkle Ford, I thought I could handle it. I mean, I've been to plenty of those sorts of places and dealt with those sorts of people..." Dipper trailed, looking to his great uncle and pursing his lips. He was just beginning to realize how stupidly he had acted. But what else could he have done?

If they hadn't arrived at the apartment and gone to that club, then Stanly would likely be dead right now. Or worse.

And looking back on his meeting with the club's owner, 'or worse' was certainly a viable option. Dipper shuddered at the thought.

He felt a warmth on his shoulder and glanced over at Mabel, who had moved closer and was now gripping her twin protectively. She gave Dipper one of her wide smiles, which she returned half-heartedly.

"Yes, but not here. Not in this city. Not Bartleby's. And not..." Ford's jaw tightened, and he shook his head, "...not Bill Cipher." He said, voice a mixture of fear and loathing. "Look Dipper." His Great Uncle placed a large hand on the boy's shoulder, meeting Dipper's gaze with a look that was sincerely fearful. "That Cipher... He's dangerous. Incredibly dangerous. He's got this whole town wrapped around his little finger and he's utterly insane. I'm talking downright psychotic."

Dipper couldn't help but roll his eyes at Ford's words.

"Yeah. I noticed." He mumbled.

"He could be your best friend one moment, then be stabbing you in the back the next. And working in that hell hole of a bar will be like balancing on a tightrope over a tank of sharks." Stanford finished.

"Yeah, sharks with fucking Tommy Guns tied to their heads." Stanly added, earning a snort and soft laugh from Mabel.

"Tommy Gun." she chuckled, and Stanly smirked. Ford shot them both a look, and the pair quitted.