20 - The Firebug and the Escape

I woke up to the sound of something crackling. I twitched my ears, trying to get a better read of the sound, but I was far too limited by my human ears.

I pushed myself up and peered out the window, staring down the dark hallway. There was no one else inside the barn. So what is going on?

The crackling only intensified, getting steadily louder until it had turned into a roar. I paced around my room, pressing my ear to each of the four walls, trying to hear the sound better

The ground shook ever so slightly, putting me even more on the alert. An earthquake? In Manitoba? No, that's not possible. The ground vibrated once more, before an ear-shattering screech filled the air. I pressed my palms against my ears, but the sound of metal twisting and grinding still filled my mind. There was a colossal thump, and the ground jolted beneath my feet.

I banged my fist against the door. "Hey! What's going on out there?" The lights in the hallway were still off, signifying that it was night time. What if Abrams doesn't know what's going on?  "Scott! You there?"

Only the haunting roar continued, menacing my eardrums with its presence. A long, eerie wail slowly began to rise above the roar, until it dominated the air. My eyes widened with realization; it was a sound I hadn't heard for half a year. A firetruck! That roar is a fire!

There is a forest fire here after all!

I pressed myself up against the door, than shoulder-checked it. It rattled against its hinges, but didn't budge. More sirens were joining in on the serenade, making my worries grow. It must be a pretty big fire!

Maybe they can help me!! I began kicking at the walls and door, screaming and shouting at the top of my lungs. If I could hear the commotion outside, maybe, just maybe I would be heard in here.

As the hour wore on, the roar died down, eventually fading from my ears. I kicked and shouted until my lungs ached and my bare feet could take no more.

Still no one entered the barn.

I sat against the wall, defeated. What happened?  I sniffed the air, yet my nose yielded no clues to the happenings outside.

The night wore on, leaving me in the dark.

Finally, the hall lights flicked back on. I paced back and forth a bit, than lay down on the ground. I closed my eyes, enjoying some much needed rest, but I did not dare to sleep. Sleep had been used against me far to many times for me to allow myself that luxury.

My mind wandered back to my friends--were they okay? Norman had assured me that they had already been killed. No, he couldn't have known that! They were still alive when we left!

My only hope was that Sarah had somehow made it to them, and set them free. I didn't even know the girl, yet I found myself imagining her setting Nadie free, along with Hutch and Tara. She was waving them on, shooing them out one of the thick metal doors of the complex. Nadie looked back, hoping beyond hope that I was still alive--

No! I sat up, shaking my head. I needed sleep, but I did not want it. Abrams could come back at any time--

"Good morning." I spun around on the floor, seeing him standing in the doorway.

There was nothing standing between the two of us.

I almost couldn't believe my luck--I finally had a straight shot at the guy!

"You!" I snarled, leaping forward. I reached down with my hands to push myself up--

--and fell flat on my face. "Oof!"