6.

6.

"Stay back, Theodore," Kate told me, her voice fragile as she spoke to me, "Stop! Don't come near me!"

I froze, my grip on the rooftop entrance's door knob tightening significantly. "Kate, I..."

"Theo, seriously, don't come near me. I will jump," Kate's voice, like glass, was shattering by the second, the same way she was shattering my heart. It hurt me to see her in this much pain, and it hurt even more when knew that I could've done more to stop it.

I let go of the door handle, taking a small step forward as I told her, "Okay, okay. I'm right here. Kate, please.."

"Oh, Theodore. I know you want to help me," Kate answered, "It meant so much to me hearing you stop your friends from talking about the video, but it's too late. Nothing matters anymore," Kate croaked, her eyes still red and puffy from the tears.

I choked out, my throat closing up from how dangerous our current situation was, "Kate, you matter, and not just to me. You have people such as myself who care about you, you are worth it. You're worth every second of my time and everyone else's, so don't you dare say otherwise."

"I'd love to believe that."

"Kate," I said, my lips trembling as I took another small step forward, "Your life is still yours; and we can get through this together. Let me help you, Kate. Like when I got people to stop watching the video on a loop.."

"How can I trust you? I barely know!" Kate yelled at me, but her gaze softened, but only slightly. "But I am glad to hear that you worry about me; that makes me feel a little better."

Another step closer.

Kate, just hang in there..

"Of course I have the right to worry, you're my.." I paused, not knowing whether to call her a friend or.. No; friend for now would be best for now, "..friend." I could see that Kate sensed my hesitation, so I continued, a little stronger and louder this time, "I mean, yes, we never really talked, but, Kate, please just trust me on this. Come stand by me, okay? I can help you now, I know I can. This morning, I stopped people in the boys dorms from watching the video again," I explained, praying her faith in me was a little stronger now. "That video doesn't define who you are as a person, so it doesn't matter to me what people think of you or say about you."

"Are you serious?" Kate asked, relief flooding her features. "Thank you so much.. The fact that you don't care about that video and would come up here to stop me means a lot.. "

I swallowed hard, taking yet another careful step forward, "I care about you because.. I believe you were drugged. There is no way you would've done what you did in the video if you weren't; I know you, Kate. It was you, after all, that kick-started the abstinence campaign in the school; so we will find out who did this to you and make them pay for it."

"You sound so persuasive, Theodore," Kate answered, her soft voice drowning in the sound of the rain beating down on us and the rooftop of the Prescott Dormitories. "If only.." Her voice faded, my heartbeat picking up significantly.

"Kate, I believe you. Will you believe me?" I asked her, the following step almost becoming routine to me. "Please, Kate." I begged her, "You don't have to do this.."

"Theodore, I'm in a nightmare and I can't wake up! Unless I put myself to sleep. " Kate then let out a dry scoff in the rain, "Then everybody at Blackwell can post pics of my body. I'm already on the Internet forever.. No wonder they call it a web - nothing can ever get out. Like my video.." Kate hiccuped, my chest tightening in fear. "I wish I could just go back in time and erase everything.."

I stood where I was, clenching my fists to stop my hands from trembling so much, "Kate, this is our chance to beat the bullies. That's the only way we can win against them. If you could just step down-"

"Can we really, Theodore?" Kate asked me, her voice cynical and full of negativity. They've put her through so much.. "I don't really believe in miracles anymore, either."

"Now I do, and you're part the reason why." I answered, my body telling me to take another step forward. I figured honesty would be a massive help to bringing her back, so I told her, "Kate, I'll be honest with you, I'm not a very religious person, but my mom showed me a couple of beautiful passages from the Bible the other day. Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

"You quoted one of my favorite passages," Kate choked out, smiling gratefully as I took another step closer to her. "But nobody cares about me."

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach, "Kate, you are loved, your sisters-! I saw you sitting with your little sister at the Two Whales the other day, and how strong you were being for her. What's her name?"

Tears were running down both of our cheeks, her's because of how overwhelming the things I was telling her were, mine because of how scared I was of the possibility of Kate jumping.

"Her name's Lynn," she whispered, "She's only 10.. I would hate to see her sad.. She does have a great smile.."

Once I was a meter away from her, I offered her a hand, my eyes filled with remorse as well as fear. "Will you come with me, Kate?" I asked her, my voice shaking as much as I was.

I looked Kate in the eye, Kate doing the same with me; she looked at my hand, reached for it, jumping off of the ledge and into my arms.

"You're okay, you're okay," I told Kate, cradling her in my arms as she shook with her sobs. I kissed the top of her head, holding her face and making her face me. "Listen to me," I said, "you're okay. You're beautiful, you're worth it, you're loved. I'm right here, Kate. Please don't ever try to do that again."

The tears staining Kate's cheeks were almost invisible in the rain, my heart aching when she looked at me with wide eyes, "You.. you care about me?" Kate whispered, her voice almost drowned out by the sound of the rain.

"More than you'll ever know," I told her, pulling her face towards me as I kissed her forehead. "Please don't do this ever again. Imagine how your dad would react; your sisters, too."

I cradled her in the rain, my heart slamming against my chest; though I wasn't sure if it was because of relief, or because it was Kate altogether.

Holy shit, I saved Kate Marsh.

-

A/N: YOOOOOOO I ACTUALLY CRIED WHEN I SAVED KATE IN EPISODE 2..

YAAAAAAAS THEO SAVED KATE !1!

Thoughts? No? Lolol okay bye then :P

-LGGH AKA Atticus