5.

5.

The dull sky hanging over us was so different to what we saw yesterday, drab and gray unlike the gold and orange hues shining through to us yesterday. My gut was telling me it was a sign, but of what?

I couldn't help but worry when I saw Kate walking towards the Prescott dormitories, my fist curled tightly around the strap of my bag, praying silently nothing bad would happen to her.

"Nobody understands," Kate whimpered, her hands crossed over her chest as she continued to cry silently to herself. I clenched my jaw, pressing my lips together as I watched her saunter away.

The strong girl I once knew was gone, replaced by the broken and fragile girl walking away.

- - - - -

"Yo!" Zachary came stumbling in, his eyes wide as he told us, "There's a huge commotion going on at the roof of the girls' dorms! Check it out!"

I felt as though someone had taken ahold of my heart and squeezed hard on it.

Kate was just walking towards the girls' dorms just a few minutes ago..

The bile in my throat threatened to pour out of my mouth at any moment, my hands trembling as I fumbled out of my chair to get to her as quickly as I could.

Hold on, Kate.. I'm coming.

Please, please, please.

Kate, please..

Don't jump.

I shoved the doors open, my feet slipping as I ran through the the muddy lawns of Blackwell's campus grounds. The rain was trying to weaken my resolve, but I fought as hard as I could, the rain soaking my hair, my face, my clothes.

If only I could stop time, maybe I'll get there in time if I was able to..

I pushed past the people trying to catch a glimpse of Kate, shoving anybody who was loitering about as they watched her standing on the edge of the roof of the girl's dorm. I ran past Mr. Madsen, my legs aching as I forced myself to run faster, my lungs crying for air as I pushed myself up the stairs to get to the roof. I gulped in a huge breath of air as soon as I slammed the door open, a mixture of sweat and rain soaking me and my clothes. "Kate!" I yelled out, my body crying silent tears from exhaustion.

Kate slowly turned to look at me, trembling as her glassy gray eyes burned holes through me. Her eyes were red, the dark circles under them squeezing my chest. "Theodore," she whispered, my heart stopping when I realized how much I liked hearing her say my name. Holy shit, she knew my name. "What're you doing here?"

"Please, don't do this.." I croaked out, my throat closing up from how terrified I was.

Don't leave me, Kate. I'm sorry I didn't run after you when I should've..