23

It was Christmas day, the day everyone had been so excited for.

Michael didn't care much for this holiday. It was a time for people to either be selfish because they didn't get what they wanted or a time for people to be giving because they enjoy spreading love around the world. He wasn't either. Michael never makes or gets presents for anybody because he doesn't want to have to do it every year, and he doesn't get anything in return so there really isn't a point.

However, he wanted to change things up this year by getting Calum something. The boy wasn't sure what the brunette would want, even though they're best friends. The colorful haired boy went for the best option, and he could only hope that there was a possibility that Calum also thought about Michael and got him something as well.

Michael was sitting near the Christmas tree as he watched his two best friends open their fifty thousand gifts for each other. He had to admit though, Luke and Ashton were adorable. Luke always showed so much fondness when looking at his boyfriend. It was an infinite glance, like they had the world in their hands and nothing could come between them because they were so in love.

He wished Calum was like that, or that he would at least look at him the way Luke looks at Ashton.

Ashton had received a necklace with the letters a.h engraved and the boy was almost completely confused as he ran his fingers against it.

"What does this mean?"

"It mean Ashton Hemmings," Luke replied with a flustered expression, and in all honesty, I wanted to awe and puke all at the same time.

"Oh," Ashton replied, this time him being the one who was a blushing mess, "I was thinking Luke Irwin sounded better but this works too."

"Well maybe you should take my last name because I'm younger."

"But I'm older."

This little argument between them was somewhat annoying and Michael could tell Calum felt the same way as him. He stood up and walked towards the kitchen with something in his hand, and he had his head down as though he were watching his feet the whole time to avoid falling on his face.

He couldn't help but wonder what he was up to and why he suddenly left, so he himself stood up and left the two lovebirds to argue about who was going to take who's last name.

"Hey Cal, why'd you leave?"

He seemed off and kind of, no scratch that, extremely nervous about something. The brunette was pacing from the counters to the table on repeat, his feet not once resting because he was that afraid. He didn't know what was wrong with him, but of course curiosity always gets the best of him.

"Calum, talk to me."

"It's about your gift."

"If you didn't get me anything, then that's alright. But I got you something," Michael mumbled as an attempt to calm his best friend down. He handed Calum the small box he held in his hand, which was wrapped in cute polka dot paper and a red ribbon tied nicely around it to keep it secure.

Calum tore the ribbon and paper off of it anxiously, because he was also curious about what Michael had gotten him. Inside of the box was a load full of tissue paper, which made the boy roll his eyes while Michael just stood there with a grin on his face.

"A friendship bracelet?" Calum questioned in a bit of a disappointed tone, making Michael frown because maybe that wasn't the best gift he could have given him.

"Matching friendship bracelets is the correct term," Michael replied, throwing his arm up so Calum could see that he had a pink one, while Calum had a neon green one. It was supposed to be their way of reminding themselves they have each other.

"There's something else at the bottom of the box, so don't be too disappointed with me yet," Michael retorted to his previous comment as he watched Calum eagerly sort through the box in confusion. There was nothing there.

"I don't see anything."

"Check under the Styrofoam, dork."

Calum lifted the Styrofoam up and noticed that there was a small, nicely polished, silver key laying there.

"What's this for?"

"Remember that tree house we built when we were younger and locked ourselves out of?"

"Yeah."

"I found it. I'm giving you the key because you loved it so much."

"We should share it, because it was our treehouse. Now open my gift so I can stop feeling so anxious."

Michael nodded as he opened Calum's small gift. It was in a cute bag that had sparkles on it, with tissue paper inside, following behind with a small box like his own.

"Oh god, I hope you're not proposing to me," Michael said with a laugh, even though he was hopeful. They were still young though, so that wouldn't be happening for a while.

The skunk haired boy opened the small box, seeing as there was a ring, but it wasn't a shiny diamond jewel or whatever. It was just a miniature gem placed nicely on top of a gold ring, and Calum held his finger up to show that he was wearing the other one.

"It's a promise ring, because I want to promise you that I'm not everything that I seem to be. After hurting you all of these years, I've finally come to realize that's not what I want to do. What I want to do is spend every second and minute and hour and day and night and month and year with you because if I lose you, I'd lose myself. You're the missing piece of the puzzle I've been trying to find and god Michael, I now know that I love you the way you love me. I now know what it means to love and be loved in return, because you showed me and you gave me something to truly think about."

Michael was shocked and his heart was pounding, because he didn't think he'd ever hear those words slip out of Calum's mouth. Love or puzzle piece or spending time with him. It was all so beautiful.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is-"

"Is?" Michael repeated after Calum, desperately wanting to know what he was going to say.

"Michael Gordon Clifford, will you do me the honor of becoming my boyfriend?"

"Yes."

And yeah, it truly was a Christmas Miracle. Michael never would have guessed that wishing upon a star on Christmas eve would make his dreams come true. That he'd be able to call Calum his once and for all, but it did happen and now he could finally brag to the people who doubted his chances in the first place.

After giving each other their gifts, they walked hand and hand and ignored Luke and Ashton's stares because they had somewhere to go. And that somewhere was the tree house they built when they were six years old, and they laid inside of the treehouse even though they were too big for it, because it brought memories back and reminded each other that they were in this world together, and that they were meant for each other.

These signs of love shouldn't be ignored, and that time they accidentally held hands in the tree house when they were eight was a reminder that love was meant for them. And that they were meant to hold each others hands, meant to kiss each others lips, and meant to say the three simple words that could change their lives forever.

"I love you."

-

A/N:

1330 words.

one chapter left and an epilogue. Wtf did I just write man? It was deep.

Let's get this story to 1k yeah? Thatd make my life. Thank you all so much for reading and voting. Ily all.