Chapter 6

Everlasting Light | The Black Keys

"I'm still perfectly capable of driving, y'know," I mumbled stubbornly—because yeah, sometimes I could be a bit stubborn, and weren't we all at times?—just as I shut the door passenger side closed. Zayn walked around from the driver's side until he was stood next to me, a wicked smirk plastered evilly across his face. He was taunting me a bit, I knew he was.

A quiet snort left his mouth and I had to refrain from rolling my eyes because for one, I rolled them far too much and I didn't want them to get stuck that way. And two, we'd just parked outside of my parents' house and I didn't think the first thing they'd want to see was me rolling my eyes when they saw me, so I made sure to stop myself right in my tracks.

"I'm just taking precautions," Zayn shrugged, adjusting the strings on the brown sweater he was currently wearing. It was just a simple hoodie, but still he looked amazing, better than he should really, and it just wasn't fair. Zayn being so good looking in literally anything just was not fair—it should be a crime. "Nothing wrong with that, yeah?"

I huffed—he was right technically, but I was still standing my ground. "Well, yeah, but it's not like I physically can't drive. I'm carrying a child, 'm not handicapped."

"You're so dramatic," he laughed instead, and of course he did. Of course he did.

"The passenger side is so torturing sometimes," I almost whined as we now stood on my parents' front porch. It still looked the same after all these years. I wondered if mum or dad ever took changing it up a bit into consideration. "And plus, you drive like a maniac, so there's that."

He actually didn't but it was worth a try.

"I don't and you know it."

"I know," I nodded before kneeling down to pick up the potted plant next to the welcome mat (which was an awkward place to put a vase but who was I to say?) and grabbed the key my mum always left outside for emergency purposes. She had a tendency to either lose or forget her key at home sometimes—read: all the time. "I was just trying to help my case."

"Well, you didn't do such s good job with that."

"Ha ha," I sarcastically replied, but of course I couldn't help the way a smile started to take over my features anyway. It always happened regardless. Plus, it was pretty impossible to not smile around Zayn, too.

I didn't bother to waste any more time before I stuck the key inside of its slot on the door and pushed it open. I let Zayn go inside first while I crouched back down to place the key in its spot underneath the pottery again.

Inside mum and dad's house was warm like it always was despite it almost being spring and the weather starting to warm up this time around. Still, nothing had changed much expect for maybe a few added pictures on the walls or a change of drapery, but other than that I assumed it was safe to say that my parents weren't too big on change. But change was good though sometimes. And now I was really itching to help them decorate the place up a bit. They could use it.

I could hear commotion coming from the kitchen so I made my way over there with Zayn following right behind me. He'd become fairly close to both of my parents over the years, and there was no surprise that they were just as fond of him as he was them. I wasn't sure what it was exactly, but there was just something about him that drew everyone in. Zayn was just a fairly likable person overall, I didn't think I'd ever met anyone who didn't like him before.