Fight Or Flight- 2

Law's ears were ringing.

He took a deep breath only to be rewarded with a mouthful of salty water.

Law coughed and sputtered, trying desperately to get air back into his aching lungs.

His entire body hurt and the ringing in his ears left no room for sound or thought.

But that was good. Pain was good. Pain meant that he was still alive.

A tug on his hand snagged Law's attention and he turned his head only to be rewarded with a horrific sight.

The ocean was burning. Debris and bodies floated all around him while the airplane's main cabin sank.

The fat man floated past, his face submerged and a shard of metal logged deeply into his back.

It was surreal. Law's brain refused to believe what his eyes were seeing. If it did, Law was sure he would delve even further into his shocked state and drown.

There was another tug on his hand and Law realized that the wreckage was steadily floating away from him.

No... it was him that was floating away.

The ringing continued, but through it all he could just barely hear a deep voice shouting at him.

Law looked up to where his hand was being tugged.

Eustass Kid's blood red hair was bobbing up and down with the waves, his left hand still firmly gripping Law's in an iron grasp.

The redhead was paddling with one hand, heading to some blurry object in the distance.

Law groaned and Kid whipped his head around, gold eyes wildly searching Law's face for signs of life.

"Stay with me!" The man's voice penetrated through the cotton stuffed in Law's ears. "C'mon Law, stay awake!"

"I am awake..." Law breathed his eyelids drooping.

Law blinked and when he opened his eyes again the wreckage was a well and good distance away.

He blinked once more and found that they were even farther than the first time.

Law could feel sand brushing between his toes. When had he lost his shoes?

The ocean gave way to dry land beneath him and Law's eyes drifted up to Kid again as the man collapsed onto the sand beside him, still holding Law's hand.

The redhead was breathing heavily and Law noticed with hazy vision that the hand he held and the arm attached to it was uncovered, giving Law an eyeful of metal and wires.

Eustass Kid has a prosthetic arm.

It was the last thing he thought before drifting back into unconciousness.

~

There were some things Eustass Kid never thought would happen to him.

Loosing his arm was one. Being in a plane crash was another.

Well there goes that.

The sun was rising once again by the time Kid woke up and for a moment he just laid there in the sand, soaking up the early morning rays.

His head throbbed and he could hear his arm sparking and shaking, malfunctioning from the saltwater that penetrated deep into its wiring.

Sitting up, Kid gasped at the pain that shot through his head and had to sit still for a few minutes as the world spun.