Fight Or Flight- 7

"You're doing great, Law. We're almost there." Kid murmured gently, his right hand splayed out reassuringly across Law's back.

The surgeon was swiming (well, kicking his legs while hanging onto an airplane seat cushion) next to Kid towards the reckage of the plane.

He had decided it was high time he started helping his ruby haired companion clear out the wreckage, so, after a few initial lessons, here he was.

In the water.

That he hated.

"If I don't make it out of that death trap alive, them I am so haunting your ass for the rest of eternity after this." Law growled as the two came upon the wreckage.

Kid let out a low chuckle as the two swam inside. "Alright then, you can check the shallow side. I'll see if I can get into the cargo hold."

Law nodded and soon found his footing on the plane's plastic ceiling as Kid turned back and dove again.

With a shaky sigh, the raven haired man began searching through knee deep water, trying to open the overhead compartments that now lay at floor level.

The seats above him dripped water onto his head, the sounds echoing around the wreck and reminding Law that he would have to be quick with his search before the tide came in.

As he searched, Law flinched as a putrid stench filled his nostrils and something much heavier than a drop of water landed on his shoulder.

Fresh corpses normally did not phase the surgeon, but the scent and sight of decaying flesh always managed to churn his stomach to the point where he would almost vomit.

So, when Law looked up just in time for a set of rotting remains to come crashing down onto his head, he couldn't help but let out a scream.

~

Kid had managed to worm his way into the plane's cargo hold through the deployed landing gear.

The redhead gasped for breath as he surfaced in an air pocket. The entire place was dank and plunged in darkness, almost like an underwater cave. Kid made a note to bring a flashlight the next time he came.

Still, he couldn't leave empty-handed, so the blind search began.

Kid dove several times, feeling with his good hand for anything that could be of use.

At one point, a texture much like human hair graced his fingers and Kid grabbed it, pulling it back up to the surface.

Running his hand across the object, Kid found that he was holding a human skull. The only thing that remained on it seemed to be a mass of coarse hair and several large teeth marks.

The redhead assumed that a shark or some other fish brought the skull to the hold, as he couldn't seem to find any other bones around.

He was still looking when a faint scream met his ears.

Fear gripped Kid's heart and he quickly swam back out the way he came, the skull tucked under his mechanical arm.

When he finally made it back to the main cabin, Law was desperately trying to brush a mass of decayed flesh off of him.

Kid's stomach dropped and he looked up to see a pair of nearly skeletal legs still suspended by a seat belt.

"Fuck, Law I'm sorry, I didn't know there was still somebody here!" Kid hissed, sloshing through the now bloodied waters towards his companion.

Law sputtered and threw away the head that had landed in his arms.

Kid looked down at it as it splashed in the water before him.

With what little flesh that remained on the face, Kid could tell that it was a male, and there were three gold earrings attached to the one remaining ear, but he couldn't tell what the man's original hair color was, as some sort of green algae had begun to grow on the scalp.

Law let out another frustrated snarl as he finally managed to get the flesh off of him. As he turned to Kid, his eyebrow twitched upward. "What. Is. That?"

Kid looked down. Between the skull under his arm and the head in his hands, he could see how Law could be frustrated. "A... Skull with an afro?"

Law huffed, brushing off his arms once again.

"Just- take me home! I'm fucking done with today! I just want to bathe and go the fuck to sleep and try not to die of night terrors later."

Both men suddenly froze at that, then turned to stare at each other.

Home. Law had just called the island home.

"It's only been a couple of weeks..." Kid muttered. "I'm... I'm sure they're still looking." The statement was almost self assuring.

Both men stayed quiet for a minute longer before Kid softly grabbed Law's hand. "Come on, let's go back."

~

Law sighed as he stepped into the lagoon. In the sweltering October heat, the cool water was all too welcome.

Swimming back to the island had washed off whatever grime had been left on the tattooed man's body, leaving behind a constricting salty feeling on his browned skin.

As soon as they hit the beach, Law had grabbed some soap and shampoo from their respective piles and made a beeline for the fresh water pool as Kid stayed on the sand in order to bury the two skulls they had found.

There was a small waterfall on the far side of the lagoon, as well as a stream which flowed out to the ocean, filtering the clean water regularly. It wasn't as luxurious as a heated shower, but it was the best that there was in this sort of situation.

As he lathered a citrus scented shampoo in his hair, Law was just happy how lucky he was to have Kid around.

He paused for a second, his face flushing as he realized that even in his thoughts that sounded weird. He was lucky to have Kid around in order to get him stuff. Yeah, that was better.

"Laaaw?" Kid's rushed voice suddenly called out from the underbrush, making Law jump.

"Y-Yeah? What's up?" The surgeon asked, his flushed face darkening as he curled himself into a ball so as not to be completely seen through the crystal clear water.

Kid poked his head into the clearing, his own pale face flushed a deep crimson. "Problem. Need doctor-y advice."

Law raised a thin eyebrow as Kid tossed him a small pill bottle.

"These are just pain killers. What's the problem?" The surgeon questioned, eyeing the label.

"That's what I thought too when I took one, but look inside."

Law's questioning look faded into one of shock as he peered at the little blue pills inside. Once again his face flushed red, in both embarrassment and anger. "W-Who the hell puts Viagra in an ibuprofen bottle?!" He sputtered, then looked up at Kid. "You took one of these?!"

"And therein lies the problem." The redhead grimaced, his face still flushed.

Law pretty much understood now why Kid refused to come fully into the clearing, as the redhead seemed to have a little problem.

The surgeon let out an exasperated groan and tossed the bottle back. "Go fix yourself up, I guess. And please, for God's sake, go bury that damned thing somewhere far away when you're done."

Kid nodded and turned to leave, but Law took one last breath and called out to him. "If it lasts for more than four hours you're screwed!"

That was not something Kid needed to hear right now. Just the sound of Law's voice got him even more excited, and his appearance? God have mercy.

The redhead grimaced again.

Things were starting to get complicated...