Chapter Seventeen

Serana’s POV

   By the time Staraptor got home, I was exhausted. We went in through Silver’s window, not wanting to alarm the whole lab, considering it was late and the lights in Gold, Crystal, and Green’s windows where on. Blue, Silver, and I look over the files. I look through the information and the photos. What creeps me out is that a more than fifty percent of these photos had me in them. The one that disturbed me was the picture of me looking over my parent’s dead bodies. I chucked the photos across the room after putting them in the envelope and stare at my cast. I don’t want to look at them anymore. I rub my temples trying to get a grip, but I’m so tired. Before I knew it I dozed into a dreamless sleep.

+++++++++++++

A few days later

+++++++++++++

  I pant as the heat of the “extinct volcanic maze” replaces my beloved cold refreshing Oxygen. How there is a damned volcanic maze in Cinnabar Island will forever remain a mystery to me. My tank top and shorts are dripping with sweat. My hair is practically soaked in it. I probably smell terrible, but my companions can’t say much. If you can't tell, we all smell like a Milk Tank farm. I scan over my companions. I hate two of the four of them. My group is Silver, Gold, Green, and Crystal.  Except, the weirdest thing is happening. Crystal is actually being nice to me! Maybe it’s just the heat messing with both of our heads. The ground underneath my foot crumbles slightly, falling into the lava. It is like a version of an arcade game, across a pit of lava. I call this the screwed up version of Squirtle Hop, except I don’t have a bunch of extra lives and skill. In all truth, I manage to find ways to hurt myself a lot. So me making may way out of this alive will be interesting to watch.

“Aww my hair is all wet!” Crystal whines and Green looks over at her with a scornful expression. I chuckle and Green smiles brightly.

  Over the last couple of days I have grown really close to Green. I might even have some feelings for him, but I don’t know. Silver has been giving me the silent treatment recently, which is depressing. Every time I would attempt to talk to him, he would treat me coldly or act like I don’t exist. I could live like that, but I’m afraid Blue is going to decide to fix the situation. I shudder at the thought. While in my daze, I almost fall off the edge when someone catches my arm. I look to see who saved me from certain doom and see a relieved Crystal. She smiles at me with relief and I return the smile. What is up with her? Maybe she is making me trust her so later she can shove me in the lava and tell everyone that I must have fallen in. Yeah, now I am going to keep an eye on her.

“Guys! Look!” Gold points frantically to one of the platforms.

  I squint, I really hope I don’t need glasses. That would suck! It would make my life more complicated than it already is. In the distance is a cyan glowing light. I can’t decide whether I should be excited and congratulate Gold on a great find, or hit him on the back of the head and call him an idiot for distracting us. Only one way to find out! I hop from black rock to black rock. One more. I look down and gulp. It was like a giant canyon below me, a molten lava pit ready to devour me. I take a deep breath, and hopefully not my last. I leap and miss. A scream leaves my mouth, than a hand grabs me. I look up and see Silver clutching my hand. He pulls me up, my grasp slipping his. I look for a foot hold. I find one and put my foot on the rock. I help pull myself up. When I am sure that I am on steady ground, I collapse on the rocky platform, breathing heavily. Fear and adrenaline courses through my veins. I hear stomping , the loud sound vibrates through the volcanic rock causing me to feel the vibrations, and look to see Silver. Of course it was an upside down image, so it looks like he is smiling. I laugh, Silver smiling is one of the many rare moments I have experienced. He was in a black t shirt with his usual dark purple pants and black and red boots.