Epilogue

This chapter really doesn't need explaining, does it? :)

Also, I would read "The Next Doctor" from "Apocalypse Rising." There's a BIG hint as to a major plot point in the next book towards the end of that chapter.

***

The Doctor finished settling the TARDIS, and not a moment too soon. It seemed like they had just gotten their bearings back when Martha entered. "Right, then!" he smiled. "Off we go! The open road. There is a burst of starfire right now over the coast of Meta Sigmafolio. Oh, the sky is like oil on water! Fancy a look?" The Alchemist's smile slowly faded, seeing the look on Martha's face. "Or back in time! We could . . . I don't know. Charles II? Henry VIII? I know! What about Agatha Christie? I'd love to meet Agatha Christie. I bet she's brilliant."

"OK," the Alchemist said.

"I just can't," Martha began to explain.

"We know," the Alchemist assured her.

"Spent all those years training to be a doctor," she kept going. "Now I've got people to look after. They saw half the planet slaughtered, and they're devastated. I can't leave them."

"Of course not," the Doctor nodded, understanding completely. "Thank you, Martha Jones," he added. "You saved the world."

"Yes, I did," Martha nodded. "I spent a lot of time with you two thinking I was second best . . . but you know what? I am good."

"You certainly are," the Alchemist smiled.

"You going to be all right?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "We'll be all right."

Martha fished her phone out of her pocket and handed it to her. "Keep this, because I'm not having you disappear. If that rings - when that rings - you'd better come running, got it?"

"Got it," the Doctor promised as the Alchemist pocketed the phone.

"I'll see you again, you two," Martha pointed to them before leaving the TARDIS.

The Alchemist nodded, turning to the Doctor. "So, what did I hear about starfire?"

He grinned and pulled a lever, but then alarms started going off. Surprised, the two of them fell to the floor as the TARDIS spun, then the Doctor leapt to his feet and worked on the console. "Ah, stop it! What was that all about, eh? Eh? What's your problem?"

"Right, just settle down now," another voice said.

The Alchemist's jaw dropped, looking at the Doctor . . . and the other Doctor that had somehow appeared, both clueless about the other. "Doctor?" she finally said.

"What?" both turned to her, bumping into each other in the process.

"So sorry," the Fifth Doctor said.

The Tenth Doctor blinked wildly, turning to his past self. "What?"

The Fifth Doctor stared back at him. "What?"

The Tenth Doctor just stared, stunned. "What?"

And the Alchemist . . . just started laughing hysterically.

***

To be continued in "As Brittle As Quicksilver."

Which I plan on uploading tonight! Check my reading list "The Creators Saga" to see when it comes!