Sinking Heart 4

Aria's POV -

Here I was, on the first day of my Senior year, sitting in a bathroom stall, trying to calm my nerves and tears down. Pathetic; I know. I just didn't expect to see him here. Out of every school and every town, he just had to be here. In my school, in my class.

I thought I could, maybe, just maybe, try to put the past behind me and start over...but nobody can run away from their past. I can't be forgiven for what I've done...it's impossible.

The bell rang signaling the end of first hour. I sighed before standing up and splashing my face with cold water. I ran a hand through my hair, took deep breaths and exited the bathroom.

The hallways were crowded. People chatting, laughing and...being normal. I envied that. Then out of nowhere, I found myself on the floor, my stuff scattered across the hallway floor.

Confused and still shocked, I looked up at the person that pushed me and I wish I never had.

Dark, cold eyes bore into mine; so full of hatred and anger.

"Watch your back, Aria." He spat.

The way he said my name..so vicious. Luke. Luke Kramer wants revenge. I just knew it.

I stayed still on the floor, my eyes watching his retreating back. I was terrified. Terrified of what's to come.

Watch your back Aria. Yeah, that's all I've been doing for the past 2 months. I could never forget...

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My eyes flew open, taking in the white ceiling. I couldn't quite move my head so I stayed still. I knew I was in a hospital but everything was just so foggy. I don't remember anything, aside from my car tumbling down the road.

My body was sore and stiff. My energy was drained. My head was spinning continuously; but it was my sides and back that hurt the most. My back felt like it's been stepped on, painfully. My sides were burning and my legs were still and stiff.

I opened my mouth to ask for help but all I could make out was a small whimper.

"Aria!" 

I moved my head slowly towards the voice, and found my brother, Damon, sitting on  a chair by my bed with a smile on his face. I didn't miss the silent tears either. 

I cleared my throat. "Damon?" I questioned, my voice raspy, confused.

"You're awake." He cried happily.

"What happened?'' I asked, wondering about Mandy and the accident. 

He cleared his throat, uncomfortably. "I'll get the doctor." He mumbled, before picking himself up and out the door.

What's with that?

A minute later, the door flew open, revealing a doctor with a strained look on his face; my brother with a sad, almost pitying look on his.

I stared at the both, confused.

Little did I know that I was about to receive the worst news...

"Are you alright?" I heard someone question, snapping me out of my memories.

I blinked the tears away, before turning around to face...Mr.Donovan?

I blinked at him, hypnotized by his eyes, again. "Umm...yeah I'm fine." I answered, snapping my gaze back to the floor, hoping he didn't catch me checking him out.

He chuckled. Darn. "Would you like some help?"

I snapped my head up to meet his gaze. "Huh?" 

Help with what?

He raised an eyebrow, looking amused, gesturing around me.

Oh.

Ohhh.

Right. I forgot that I was still on the floor, with my bag and books scattered around me. I scratched the back of neck sheepishly, looking at my handsome teacher. "Right.." I mumbled awkwardly.

He let out a laugh; a beautiful one at that. A careless laugh. I wish I could laugh like that, I thought wistfully. 

"Right." He repeated, teasingly before giving me his hand. I placed my smaller one in his as he pulled me up easily. Woah, I thought, my eyes admiring his muscles. 

He works out.

He knelt down, helping me pick up my stuff off the floor. He handed me my books and I took them, gracefully. 

I was going to thank him and head off to class, before he interrupted.

"Your sister?" He questioned. My sister? I don't have a sister...not one that I know of at least. I cocked my head to the side, giving him a confused look.

He grinned. "The picture" He explained looking at the picture of Mandy that fell on the floor. 

Oh.

He thought she was my sister. My eyes watered remembering her. 

"She was. I whispered, quietly, forgetting that I was alone. 

My eyes widened when I realized what I said. I swiftly, snatched the picture of Mandy and adjusted the books in my hand. I muttered a quick thank you before turning on my heels and running off, like I always do.

I heard Mr.Donovan call after me but I didn't look back.

When I arrived at the door of my math class, I stopped to take a breath and get my book ready...

Up until I realized that this was the second time I ran out on my teacher...

....and he has my math book.