Chapter 18 - Tightrope Walking

For the first time in what felt like years, I ventured down the sandy wooden steps, the grains sticking to my feet and prompting me to remove my thongs, skipping across the hot surface to the cooler patches cast by the shadows of salt bushes.

He was out there. I could see them both, bobbing on the endless cycle of waves that were thrown towards this part of Sandy Cove. The sun always crept over the horizon to signal a new day, the moon never failed to creep across the night sky, and like clockwork, they were always out on the surf every morning.

I occupied my regular spot, taking time to spread out my towel and arrange myself so my book was propped up comfortably. Today it was not an adventure novel, it's one of Maisie's old books that she vowed I would love.

My presence must have signalled him from the shore because it didn't take long for Logan to exit the surf. I noticed his feet first. Tanned skin, white sand, smug smirk.

"Morning," he greeted.

"Good morning," I said. I knew for sure that there was no way I was letting him get away with his games from the night before this time. With a fresh mind and a little distance between us I was able to think a little more clearly. I cut straight to the chase. "Listen, Logan. If whatever we're starting here is going to go anywhere you can't play stupid games like last night. If you have a problem with something, say it."

"Woah," he raised his hands up in defence. "Chill out, Vally."

"Don't try and belittle this, Logan." I put my book down and tried to straighten up, in an effort to prevent him from looking down on me.

"I'm not, you're just overreacting."

"Great, you won't mind if I end this, whatever this is, then." I didn't exactly expect to go there, but his face tightened a little.

"You can't hold that over me as leverage you know, that's not how a relationship works."

"Who says we're in a relationship?"

"Seriously, Vally. Just chill out for a second. This isn't all about you and your security issues."

My cheeks flamed pink and I got to my feet. "Fine, if that's how you want to divert it then so be it. See you around, Logan."

"Well, now that things have already turned to shit anyway, I'll just say it then," he mocked. I was half turned away from him and he jumped back into my view. His chest was still dripping with water and his ankle still tethered to the board which lay just behind him. "I was pissed off because you went and had a meet-the-parents dinner with your freaking second boyfriend the other night."

I span on my feet, furious at his easy way of slandering me. "First of all, Alastair and I are friends. That's all we are. That means we hang out. Secondly, if that's what you think of me, then fine. Just fine. Who even told you that?"

"Friends. Right. See you around, Vally."

Ignoring my question, he bent down and picked up his board, looping it under his arm and walking away briskly, muttering something under his breath. I took a moment to rid the rage from my breathing before I left the beach. So much for my peaceful reading spot.

"Why are boys so frustrating?" I asked Daniel later that day. It was late afternoon and we were keeping the ice-shop open late for a children's event being held on the foreshore. The wind was cold, though, and nobody had ordered an ice-cream all evening.

"Huh?" he was out of it. Again. He seemed to be daydreaming for most of our shift so far. Maybe it was because he wasn't accepted into his course, or maybe it was something else.