Chapter 16

The next morning, we tell Li that we're going to the castle... Not. Good.

"But I don't wanna go!" Li shouts.
"Li! We have to talk to Mom and Dad!" I try to explain.
"No! We don't! You can't make me!" She yells, getting on her dragon, Midnight, and flying away quickly.
"Li!" I shout, getting on Storm and flying after her. Storm may be faster, but he's larger. He's not as maneuverable as Midnight is. Well, shit. We try to follow them as Midnight takes many tight turns. Storm keeps up, but sometimes flies off of track when we try to turn like Midnight does. I pat Storm as were right on Midnight's tail.
"Come on, Storm. Fly under them and block them." I whisper. He flies faster as he flies under Midnight and halts right in front of him.
"Li! You can't run from me. Please. I promised that I would protect you and that's what I'll do." I say and she looks down at Midnight. Midnight croons at his indecisive rider.
"Fine." She says, looking back up. She turns around and starts flying back to our friends. I sigh and fly back with her.

"Ok, guys. Let's go." I say and everyone gets on their dragons.
"Are you sure about this?" Gallagher asks.
"Yeah, I'm just worried about Li. I know that she wanted to leave for the same reason I did, but she can't seem to understand that we need to talk to our parents." I answer.
"I'm sure she'll be fine. She's strong, just like her sister." Gallagher says, smiling. I blush and give him a small smile.
"Thanks, Gallagher." I thank him and he nods. The others walk over to us.
"We're ready!" Skyrah shouts.
"Ok, just remember everyone. We'll be landing on the balconies. I don't want our dragons being too far away from us." I say as Storm unfolds his wings. They all nod and we start flying towards the castle.

When we were close to the castle, nets were suddenly thrown at us from catapults. Our dragons roared loudly as they were caught in nets. How did they see us? It's really early, so it's still dark out. How?
"Storm!" I shout as I take out my pocket knife and try to cut the ropes.
"Adira!" Storm shouts and I look down. We crash onto the ground and I fall off of Storm. When I fall, I land on my chest, making me lose my breath. I inhale deeply, trying to get my breath back.
"Adira! Are you okay?" Storm asks. I nod as I try to get my breath back.
"Adira!" Gallagher shouts as he tries to cut the rope with his knife. Wait. Where's my knife? I suddenly feel a sharp pain in my stomach and groan. I turn over onto my back and my eyes widen as I see my pocket knife sticking out of my stomach. Shit. It's in pretty deep. Storm roads loudly as he sees the knife. Gallagher looks up from the ropes and sees the knife as well, his eyes as wide as saucers.
"Adira! Don't worry! J-just hold on! I'll be r-right there!" He shouts. I'm pretty sure my friends and sister have seen me at this point because I hear people shouting my name. I take a deep breath and place my hand on the handle of the knife. I grip it tightly as I start to take it out. I yell in pain and clench my free hand into a fist, pulling out some grass. I can feel Storm nuzzling me and whimpering. The knife finally comes all the way out. I look at the bloody knife and toss it to the ground, wishing I never took it out in the first place. My vision grows fuzzy, but I can see the rope around Storm and I being cut off and a few people gathering around me, but I can't see their faces. I hear a few people calling my name and see Storm standing over me protectively. Then, darkness.

Gallagher's POV:

I watched as the ropes around Adira and Storm were cut away. I try to cut the ropes around Rain and I away, but they're too thick. Rain sees my distress and cuts the ropes with her sharp claws. I quickly get out of the ropes and rush to the crowd surrounding Adira. I push people out of the way and see Storm standing over Adira's unconscious figure protectively. He snarls at the crowd, then, he sees me and looks back down to Adira with a worried look in his eyes. I nod and stand by him.
"Everyone back up!" I shout at the crowd of soldiers. Suddenly, they all split into two lines on either side of me. At the end of the lines, I see Adira's parents. Rage fills me as I take a protective stance in front of Storm and Adira. They slowly walk over to me, narrowing their eyes as they see Adira.
"I see you've brought our daughter back. Guards! Seize them!" Adira's mother shouts and Storm snarls at her. She looks at Storm and scowls.
"I've never liked dragons." She says as a few guards shoot darts at our dragons, making them fall asleep. Storm luckily lands next to Adira instead of on top of her. His tail fell on her wound, making her wince, but at least it puts pressure on the wound.
"Rain!" I shout as I see her fall down. No. I don't fight when they tie my hands behind my back. Instead, I stare at Adira. Her face grows pale and her body still limp.
"You need to help Adira! She's hurt!" I shout as I try to pull away from the guards.
"Fine. Take her to the infirmary and get her wound treated. Then, throw her in the dungeon." Adira's father says coldly. At least she'll be okay. The guards pick up Adira roughly and take her away.
"Be careful!" I shout at them. They don't look back, but carry her more carefully. I think they realized that she's the princess. The guards finish tying up Li, Skyrah, and Darius and start taking us to the dungeons.