Steve Rogers- Volleyball pt. 5

[Oh M Gy]

The coach had called you. He's the one who told you about the accident. About them all surviving. Which hospital they're at.

You rushed to the said hospital, don't even realize you're crying until your vision swims when you see Grant in the waiting room.

He has cuts and bruises all along his face, his wrist in a sling and a small bandage on his forehead.

"(Y/n)?" You sniffle, walk over to him, and pull him into a light hug. He doesn't protest, letting you hold on. "Bucky's a tough guy. I'm sure he's fine."

"But the coach, he said-"

"The coach is an asshole. Don't listen to what he says," He places his good hand on your shoulder. "Bucky's still in surgery. Not sure what's happening."

You two sit, grimly starting at the ground. "How are the others?"

He shrugs. "I don't know. The stupid nurses won't tell me crap. Only that I 'need to be patient'. Whatever. They're my teammates. I deserve to-"

"Excuse me?" You look up and find a man in his late 30's standing there with a clip board in hand. "Are you James' friends?"

You and Ward jump to your feet. "Yes."

"I'm sorry, but since neither of you are in any way related to James, I can't-"

"She's his girlfriend," Ward bumps your arm, giving you the just-go-with-it look and you nod.

The doctor hesitantly lifts the papers and begins to read. "James Buchanon Barnes, suffered head and bodily harm after being thrown from the vehicle after his seatbelt snapped. His left arm has been severed from the elbow down-"

Your eyes widen. "Wait wait, wait. What did you just say?

"His left arm. It's been severed from the elbow down. But other then that, he's perfectly fine.. Have you been in contact with his parents by chance?"

You grip the edges of your shirt, tugging at them and shake your head. "No. They're away. In a different county. C-Can I see him?"

"He's unconscious, miss, I'm not sure-"

"She just asked to see her boyfriend. If you deny her request, I swear to god, I'll start screaming. Don't think I won't."

The man sighs in irritation. "Right this way, miss."

You follow in silence, not knowing you're holding your breath until you let it out when the doctor opens a door and you spot Bucky in the corner of the room.

Tears immediately pool in your eyes as you rush forward, shock shooting up your spine when you see his left arm wrapped in bandages. From the elbow up.
____

You don't remember falling asleep.

A soft nudge wakes you up, and you find a hand resting on top of yours. Looking up, Bucky's tired eyes gaze back at you.

"Bucky!" You cry, holding onto his hand tightly. "You idiot. Don't ever do that again! Are you okay? Do you need some water?"

"Where.." He croaks, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. "Why can't I feel it."

You freeze, holding the cup closer to your chest. "Feel what?"

"My arm," He hisses, trying to sit up. "Why can't I feel my goddamn arm, (Y/n)?"

You slowly set down the water. "The accident.. you went though the windshield. Your arm got caught in the glass."

He stays silent.

"But hey, look at the bright side. You've always wanted to learn how to spike with your right hand, right?"

He sniffs, turns his head away as tears roll down his cheek. "Yeah," he chokes on a laugh. "I'll need a personal trainer, though."

"Personal trainer suck," You push a strand of brown hair behind his ear. "I could teach you, you know. I am an ace."

He grins slowly. "Yeah.. Hey, (Y/n)?"

"Yes?"

"I don't know how to write with my right hand."

"We'll work on that too, okay?"

"Okay."