Prologue

Prologue
◄◄◄

"Hello? Ariana? Are you even listening?"

I bit back an exasperated sigh and instead looked up slowly, arching my eyebrows at my mother, who was scowling at me, her full pink lips drawn into a tight line.

"Hmm?" I asked distractedly, pausing from texting my best friend, Suzan.

My mom sighed and rested her small, pale hands on her delicate-looking hips, though her expression was far from gentle. She looked angry, her ears flamed red and her usually snowy cheeks flushing a furious crimson.

"I said, we are taking up the house offer," my mom told me in a stern voice, indicating I could absolutely not argue about this, or probably get slapped around the head.

Instead, I almost dropped my phone, but managed to catch it before it was able to fall.

"What?" I spluttered, nearly choking on my own spit.

My mother rolled her dark green eyes. I guess I got that trait from her, then. No doubt about that...

"Must I repeat myself?" she sighed, but her tone softened and she murmured, "Ari, we're moving. Remember the house your Dad and I were looking at, for three months now? We're moving there. We should be packed in about a month, so that's around the time we'll leave town." She smiled at me, trying to be reassuring, but my world felt like it was shattering, splitting around me.

Because I lived in Maine, and the house my parents were looking at was in Oregon. All the way across the United States!

How would I ever see Suzan? Or my best friend (more like brother), Tyler? I needed them! We were the bloody Golden Trio! You can't tear up the Golden Trio! Harry Potter makes it obviously clear that love and friendship overtakes everything else, not darkness and evil! A.K.A., the evil which is now my mother! What is she, crazy?!

"Y-you... you can't!" I finally choked out, my eyes as wide as dinner plates, my heart pounding against my ribs.

"I'm sorry, darling," my mom said gently, attempting to reach out to me, but I jerked away.

At her hurt look, I just mumbled apologetically, "I-I just need space..."

Then I turned and nearly ran out of the kitchen.
______________________________

By now, half of our things were packed up in suitcases or storage boxes. Our house, usually warm and cozy, was cluttered with boxes and with no furniture or anything in it, it looked empty. Vacant of anything living.

Well, except for me. I was still standing in the living room, tears threatening to form in my eyes. How could I throw away my whole childhood? I grew up here. I lived here since I was 5, when I was able to start remembering things!

And now I was moving to Oregon! Even New York would be good! At least I knew the idea of demigods and Percy Jackson flourished there! But, no, just Oregon! Across the basic globe! At least, to me it was. For my parents, this seemed as simple as crossing the street!

"Ari?" my mom called from the doorway, using my well-known nickname, short for Ariana.

I paused, waiting silently for her to continue. "You need to come out, sweetie. The movers are here to pack the things into the truck while we get onto our flight," my mom told me quietly, but loudly enough me to hear.

With each word, it sent a stabbing wound through my heart. I sunk my teeth into the bottom of my lip to prevent myself from sobbing. I wouldn't cry; not now, in public. My mom had the tendency of overreacting if I made one mistake in front of others.

Instead, I grabbed my suitcase filled with the things I was taking with me on the flight before plastering on a cool expression and walking out of the house.

My home.

And now, as I slipped into my father's shiny black Mustang, I knew there was no going back.

I was leaving my town forever.
______________________________

I released a heavy sigh, falling back onto the soft, plush seat of the airplane I was currently in, flying to Oregon.

I was glad I got the window seat; actually, more than glad. I plugged my earbuds in, turned on Fireflies by Owl City, and peered down at the runway, since the plane had yet to take off.

My mother and father were sitting in the seats in front of me, talking in hushed voices, but I ignored them, instead closing my eyes to listen to my music and think about my situation.

I was leaving my family, Suzan and Tyler. The only friends I had ever had. When I had told them, Tyler pitched a fight and spurted out a violet string of foul curse words (he has the mouth of a sailor), and Suzan started crying.

I miss them already.

I left a piece of my heart back in that old town of Lincoln, Maine, and I have doubts that I can ever collect the pieces.

Little did I know I would in fact collect those pieces back together, only have them broken apart again by the person who helped build them in the first place.

(A/N: Ta da! Prologue is finished, and I'm so proud :')

Anyway, who do you think helps Ariana pick up those pieces and breaks them again...? ;) I don't know, you all tell me... in the comments.

Seriously, comment.

I love comments.

And vote.

Honestly, just press the little 'vote' button down at the bottom. It works, I promise.

So, please, continue reading or add this story to your Library, and don't forget to: VOTE, COMMENT, AND FOLLOW ME. Updates might be faster if that happened.... ;)

Shameless self-promo. :")