Chapter 22

Chapter 22
◄◄◄

It was the end of the day, and all my work was finished, with not a single word from Suzan at all.

I was walking down the hallway, my hood up to hide my face, not caring about the rule of 'keeping your hood down in the school'.

I had already collected the things from my locker, so I walked past it. My mind drifted to Rixton, and I wondered if he got punished or not.

I hurried down the stairs and then entered the cafeteria, looking around for Rixton, crossing my fingers hopefully.

Then, I saw him; that one figure in all black, slouched in the corner of the cafeteria.

A smile sketched onto my lips and I ran towards him, grinning now.

I didn't care how much of an idiot I looked; people could deal with it.

I dodged past the mousy haired girl, who huffed as she was pushed aside, and took several more bounding steps before I literally leaped into the seat beside Rixton, panting.

He looked up slowly, and my heart almost broke in two.

The black spot under his eye was swollen and dark purple-blackish, but his mouth was free of blood and looked normal.

I don't understand why the school didn't send us home; it seemed as if they sent Steven away, but not us? We were still forced to endure school? It didn't seem right.

Slowly, I reached out with a tentative hand, my heart thundering in my throat, and lightly traced the bruise with my fingertips.

Some people would say I moved way too fast; 'fell' for Rixton way too fast. But I couldn't help it. My heart overtook my brain, and this time, I didn't stop it.

I embraced it.

Maybe I do believe in love at first sight now.

"Does it... does it hurt?" I asked him softly, caressing his cheek lightly, my chest shuddering as I fought to breath, the close proximity between us making my head spin.

"No. I don't feel pain," Rixton muttered, and my stomach began to spasm at the sweet sound of his voice.

"Nonsense. Everyone gets hurt, one way or another," I insisted, turning my gaze away from his bruise to look at his eyes.

A big mistake.

Those big black oblivion eyes seemed to wrap around my soul, ensnaeing me into an endless abyss, causing me to falter and then crash down completely. My heart was literally almost leaping out of my throat, and my fingers trembled heavily as I lowered them slowly back to my sides.

I was a fool for loving him. I suppose, you could call it loving him. Liking. Either one. But he drew me closer, made me want to stay with him forever-- and I loved that feeling.

But did he feel it, too?

That connection?

That bond?

I don't know.

But I hope he does.

Otherwise, I'd seem to be a huge fool.

Rixton leaned closer slightly, just the slightest hint of movement, but that one little gesture made my palms go slick with sweat and my heart to race like I had just ran a whole mile.

"You took the punch for me," Rixton whispered, and I brought myself enough will to look into his eyes again.

"I did," I replied softly, and the faintest smile played on Rixton's lips.