Chapter 15

Chapter 15
◄◄◄

I wouldn't stop rambling to Rixton about how great friends we'd become. I believe he just ignored me, but once I thought I saw him glance at me.

It was small and quick, but there.

And for some reason, I cherished it.

I'm just... odd, okay?

Mhm, sure. If I didn't know any better... I'd think you... liked him.

What?! Never! Shut up, brain.

I prefer to be called Conscience.

Too bad.

Fine, then.

Fine.

Fine.

Finer than fine.

Finer than the finest of fine.

Shut up.

Humph.

After I had finally managed to get my bothersome brain out of my head, I saw Rixton leaning against the window, his obsidian gaze fixed on the passing cars.

I studied his features; his shaggy black hair, the midnight black bangs that fell into his obsidian-colored eyes, his ghostly pale skin, the way he dressed in complete black.

He intrigued me. I wanted to know more about him. Talk to him; get to become his friend.

It would happen.

I am positive.

Suddenly, the bus lurched to yet another halt; yet this time, we were in front of the school.

It was huge, a pale brown-gray color with vast brick walls and a glossy red roof, with a banner spreading on top of it saying, Go LakeView Lions!

I let out a small sigh of a breath, my heart pounding painfully in my chest, as the bus driver let the sliding doors shriek open.

Students piled off the bus faster than I could count.

I slid in between the same chubby girl who had whimpered at Rixton earlier.

Rixton!

You left him, dummy!

Oh, did I?

Yes!

It's called sarcasm!

Oh.

I suppressed a sigh and instead chewed nervously on my bottom lip, hopping down the metal steps and landing on the ground lightly.

I swallowed. Deep breaths, Ari, deep breaths, I repeated to myself, moving to the side and falling back as more students pooled from off the bus like ants.

Finally, Rixton descended from the bus, last.

His jet black hair was ruffled and his obsidian eyes were blazing with anger.

I hurried over to him, struggling to keep up with his brisk pace as he walked towards the school, his hands shoved into his black jacket pockets.

I heard the bus screeching away behind us, but I didn't look back. I had no reason to.

"What's wrong?" I asked Rixton gently, surprised at the genuine concern in my tone.

You blew our cover, genius!