Chapter 4:1

I stayed in bed for nearly a week, focusing on resting. I talked to Poe once we were alone, but he acted as he always had, like a bird. It got to the point where I wondered if I'd just imagined him as a human. Maybe I'd even imagined it all. But the pendant I wore told me differently, and I could feel the Talent pulse along my skin, spreading like a burning rash.

"Are you sure you feel alright?" Mom asked for about the billionth time, while I shrugged on my coat. I'd considered leaving it behind, but settled for keeping it unzipped. Sweat beaded on my forehead and I wiped it away impatiently.

"I'm fine," I groaned, ignoring the slight tremble in my hand as I reached for the door handle. Okay, so I wasn't a hundred percent, but if I had to listen to her fawn over me all day again, I was going to scream; in that girly, horror film kinda way.

Mom followed me to the porch to wish Avery and her family a safe trip. The snow glare was bright and hurt my eyes, but the cool air felt wonderful. Dad was loading the last of their luggage into the back of their car. Mom passed Avery on the small set of stairs as she went to say goodbye to Evelynn.

Wobbly on my feet, I clutched at the door frame, trying to play it cool. Concern filled Avery's eyes as she stepped up to me. Crap, guess I hadn't been as smooth as I'd hoped.

"I don't want to leave yet, not until I know you're feeling better..." Avery said, picking at the knit pair of gloves she held.

"What do you mean? I'm okay!" I forced myself to stand steady, letting go of the frame with a prayer that I wouldn't fall on my face.

She leveled a stern gaze at me. "Completely back to your old self?"

"Well, that may be a few more days yet." I smiled weakly at her. "Besides, you have to start preparing for your ceremony."

Avery hesitated, looking away. "I still can't believe this is happening so fast. I thought we'd have more time to adjust before..."

I took her hands into mine. "We'll work it out. The family Heads are asking for our engagement. We don't have to do anything you're not ready for or uncomfortable with." To be honest, I wasn't sure what I was comfortable with yet. going from not having any hope I could marry another necromancer because of my Talentless state, to actually living the dream, left me with a bad sense of whiplash.

Avery smiled softly. "Alright, but you better promise to take care of yourself. I can't have you standing at the altar half dead."

"Promise," I said, laughing at little.

She stepped closer and wrapped her arms around me. I returned her hug.

"I'll see you soon, in just a few weeks."

"You better write," she whispered.

"Wouldn't dream of doing anything else."

She left me standing on the porch as I watched her climb into the car and wave from the window.

Dad and Mom come up the steps, turning as the Manser's car started down the narrow roads of our mountain. I gave one last wave to Avery as she twisted in her seat to look back at me.

"Ezra, come back inside and rest. I'll make you some breakfast." Mom tried to shoo me back into the house, but I side-stepped her, taking careful steps down off the porch.

"That's okay, I'll be back in a little bit. I just want to take a walk."

Her lips pursed in a way that I knew from experience that she was thinking about arguing with me.

Dad saved me, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "At least take Poe with you..."

"Already planning on it," I called back as Poe flew off over head.