Chapter 3. Light Bearer

"Just as a catalyst is not the end result, but merely what triggers or brings about the process leading to that result, so light is not the end result, but rather makes it possible to arrive at the goal." -from "The Book Of Hayat"

The Ancient Warrior knew that others still existed, somewhere. Shrouded in darkness, he had no shape. Else from whence came the various formless deeps, those waters apart from the other waters, where none had dared venture? Odd that this particular form of coagulation of energy, this congealed yet flowing form of energy, seemed to be found in every part of the multiverse ever explored. Of course there were other beings locked away in other universes, perhaps also with water, but none mattered but him. Of this there could be no doubt. Though others existed, nevertheless, there could be no authority beside his. But what to do about the Darkness, this time, and how to deal with those chaotic depths which had wreaked havoc on the last two experiments? Even the two sets of neutral experiment monitors had had to be eliminated when they each in turn arrogantly decided to contradict his plan to create sentient creatures, not unlike themselves, that would then live strictly according to the rules of the experiment. How could the experiment monitors disagree with the parameters of an experiment that they were to neutrally monitor? That would not do at all, so of course they had to be removed. Experiments in self-awareness were extremely trying, and it was beginning to become lonely running them all alone. Maybe that last universe, where he had not ventured yet, held some key to all of this. Maybe if he finally gave in and called up the Child of Light, whom he had managed to lock away inside that last unexplored universe, together they could solve the recurring problem of the errant 'sentient beings' experiment. Maybe. Then again, the other one, who was followed by a paradoxical persistent light spectrum which never seemed to dissipate, could be rather annoyingly difficult to control. She insisted on arguing constantly, which was why he was forced to find a way to trick her into entering that unexplored universe in the first place. She was rather trusting, which was useful, and her valiance did come in handy when there was something difficult and unpredictable to be done. She often bravely ventured into spaces where the Ancient Warrior feared to go, which was helpful in exploring other universes, but the arrogance that went along with this caused much disorder. Now though, this new experiment needed a bold hand, and a new way of setting up the parameters so that it would not go as previous experiments had gone. The easiest way would be to get his counterpart to help, but how to get her help while still keeping control of the experimental universe? Perhaps the reflecting light she carried with her could be the key to this new experiment. If he used that light to allow her out of the universe in which she was currently trapped, then her gratitude should allow him to enforce the rules as he saw fit. That would have to do, since he was out of options for running new experiments.

"Let there be Light." intoned the Ancient Warrior.

"OK, what exactly were you thinking, you Ancient Git," she swore, "tricking me into going into that unexplored universe with no way to get back except for harsh language and trust in you? Do you know how irritating it is having to fight my way through constant swarms of... oh, that's right, you did not know what was in that universe , or did you? So what do you want me back here for now, then? You had me locked in, so why let me out, what do you want?"

"Remember, I did just let you out of what apparently turned out to be quite an unpleasant place. I should think that the phrase 'Thank you' would be in order. Besides, this will be quite interesting. I need you to help me set up the parameters for a new experiment, but this time in such a way so that I will not end up having to end it and start all over again from scratch. Sentient-being experiments, as we discussed before, but with complete free-will and the ability to create thought-forms."

"Has so much time alone driven you mad, Ancient One? You did not mention thought-form creation. You know those kinds of experiments are dangerous. What do you think we evolved away from, and why would you want to allow those lower level beings even to find the old thought-forms? And create new ones?! It is more power than they will ever be able to use safely. Speaking of which, where will al of the energy for this experiment come from?"

"I will provide it, Young Creatrix of stories."

She displayed a short surprised burst of static. His energy flow must truly be unlimited. "What if," she crackled, "they manage to figure out how to cross out of their universe and create havoc, or into other universes or to make things even worse, jump across the other dimensions, you remember that total of ten dimensions, seven of which they should not even know exist? Chances are that they will eventually find out that those dimensions exist, and how move around them. This sort of experimentation is not productive in the slightest way. Why do you continue to persist in this?"

"This experiment will be different, and as agreed previously, we will share in the setup."

"No." The younger being seemed firmly set in her opposition.

"Look, Young One, be reasonable," argued the Ancient Warrior. "I set you free and now you again owe your existence in this multiverse to me."

"You tricked me into going in the first place!" she complained.

"Then you clearly have much to learn, don't you, Young One?"

"Well, I cannot deny that, Ancient Trickster," she admitted, her signal oscillating on the word 'Ancient' for emphasis.

"And see here, Young One," he spat back on a higher frequency, "this experiment will set the stage for much good that can only be done with what is gained from this experiment. Look how I have raised you up from where you were imprisoned. That bright reflective light you carry with you everywhere was previously your weakness, but it could be turned into your greatest strength. We will use it to create a central set of lights that in the next experiment we can use to facilitate the growth of the new sentient beings as they evolve, and maybe even to gauge their intellectual progress, if they last long enough. That way we will not need any more of those experiment monitors we had so much trouble with. We can still create guardians of some sort, of course, to help with the recording and reporting on data for each piece of the experiment, since there will be a good deal of data to keep track of. We can set up multiple levels of guardians using minimal levels of energy to report on the inert matter and on the non-mobile self-aware experiment subjects as they develop and branch out. Those guardians can report to a collating guardian who will report all progress within the experimental universe to you. Now we will be partners in the creation. You will be the Creatrix, Young Bearer of Light. Without you there will be no day and night, no seasons. No mysterious bodies clustering in the night sky for the sentient beings to observe. Come now, you must say yes."

The younger being considered the idea, flattening in amplitude, and replied softly:

"I may regret this later, but yes."

(Far too long, needs THAD, maybe a bit melodramatic, but I now know how to use italics !!  :-)  At last, progress!

Shira</a>Dest

18 jan, 12016 èH

<a>12016 HE</a>

)